1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bullshit and laziness

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Alma, May 19, 2012.

1. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I laughed out loud - hard - when I read this.

http://jimromenesko.com/2012/05/18/that-damn-coach/?tw_p=twt

2. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Delete. I had no idea the placemarker text fail was the same thing.

3. 21

21 Well-Known Member

I never clicked on that placemarker thread, but I clicked on this one immediately.

Can we keep the thread title and just change the topic? Any thread by Alma called 'bullshit and laziness' has to be a keeper.

4. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Good thing I'm way way way too busy to delete anything now.

5. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

I thought this was going to be a thread about how to deal with your coworkers' bullshit and laziness. I would like some suggestions so perhaps that's where we can direct this thread to? :)

6. SportsGuyBCK

SportsGuyBCK Active Member

Carrying a baseball bat to work can do wonders ... you don't have to use it; just its mere presence can have a dramatic effect on a coworker's attitude ... :)

7. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I am the bullshit and laziness.

8. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I thought this was a thread about CEOs.

9. JosephC.Myers

JosephC.Myers Active Member

I like this response right here.

10. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Underrated part of the story

======

The general manager says two other Independent staffers looked at the “10 or 12 inch story” before it went to press, but didn’t notice the “bullshit and laziness” line.

“One said, ‘I’m not really interested in sports and didn’t read the whole thing.”

11. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

"The paper regrets publishing an offensive comment about a softball coach in yesterday's edition. The inappropriate comment was due to the poor judgment of one of our writers and the bullshit and laziness of two editors. They have all been fired."

12. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

I don't find this the least bit funny, because it's amazing how often people lose their jobs over the word "bullshit" in print. Rightly or wrongly, it almost always leads to that, despite the prevalence and seeming meaninglessness of the word in today's language usage.

If he'd just written that "There are no statistics because the coach did not make them available," the reporter would still be working.

That thought aside, I am also constantly amazed at how often and how frivolously professional journalists seem to curse, both verbally and, stupidly, in print.

Draft saved Draft deleted