1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bull riding

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Frank_Ridgeway, May 19, 2009.

1. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Covered a bull riding event about 10 years ago for a feature story. It was one of the most fun stories I've ever written. Just some wild, crazy, funny and candid characters in that sport.
    One thing that stuck with me, though, was how most of these guys started in the sport. They were just hanging around the farm or wherever one day, and someone asked if they wanted to ride a bull. Apparently, to become a rodeo clown you have to have months of training. To ride a bull, you just need a pulse.

2. dargan

dargan Active Member

A few of the guys I keep up with - like Matt Austin and Clayton Williams - don't ride PBR any more. I think Austin still rides PRCA, but I know he and Clayton ride CBR (Championship Bull Riding) because Clayton's dad, Terry, started it with Tuff Hedeman. Terry was a five-time Stock Contractor of the Year in PBR.

3. KG

KG Active Member

What can I say? I like an adventure. ;-)

4. '

Checking the PBR website and its roster of bull riders, it doesn't show that Austin was ever a major participant. He won $4,210.20 in 2004 and has won $33,650.87 this year.

If the Clayton Williams you are referring to is the one from Carthage, Tex., he has actually competed at 11 Built Ford Tough Series PRB events this year.

5. dargan

dargan Active Member

You're right, Tracy.

I didn't realize that Clayton had gotten back into PBR. I knew Austin wasn't doing it and I didn't think he ever did it much. Clayton's had a couple shoulder injuries that have held him back.

6. One of the more intresting things to check out on the prbnow.com website is at the bottom where they update the injuries of the competitors. Let's just say the day-to-day injuries in rodeo in general, and pro bull riding in particular, are a bit different than most sports we deal with.

Draft saved Draft deleted