1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bull riding

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Frank_Ridgeway, May 19, 2009.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Those skills can also translate to the bedroom.

2. spaceman

spaceman Active Member

SC, what's your fastest time in calf roping?

3. budcrew08

budcrew08 Active Member

TTIUWOP.

4. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I dabbled in rodeo as a college student at buckouts, but since I was 6-2 and 200 pounds (thankfully, I'm the same today after dropping a few lbs.), I was too big to stay on a bull. I'd be off the fucker the nanosecond after the gate opened and the little wiry fuckers scoreboarded. So I practiced roping and got halfway decent at it, but never tried it at a pay event.

5. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

8 seconds, duh :D

6. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Bull riding used to make an appearance in Richmond, may still for all I know. I covered one year. Strange sport. I think 15 of the 45 made it the full eight seconds in the first round. One time, the gate has opened yet and here comes this rider flying over the top. Bull got started early.
    The damndest thing for me is the guys who made it were in every bit as much danger as those who didn't. The bull doesn't just stop at eight seconds and say, "Good work, man. Hop off." You still have to get off the thing and get to safety.

7. ServeItUp

ServeItUp Active Member

Moddy's right. Lane Frost died at Cheyenne Frontier Days after putting up a huge ride, like 80-plus-points.

And Dargan's right. Matt Austin's a good guy, though I'm surprised the guy hasn't busted his glasses (which he wears while riding bulls) and lost an eye.

Flint Rasmussen remains one of the best interviews I've ever done. He and Justin McKee, when they were calling PRCA rodeos together, were still "on" a half-hour after that particular rodeo performance ended. Talk about straight man and madcap... those guys made rodeo fun to watch, and I can only imagine what Flint does on the PBR stage.

8. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

The event here was the Lane Frost Memorial. Before the first one, I did a huge story on him. Wow. His family opened up about things and the PBR folks were good about providing some information. Bull riding had a casualty/injury rate that was far higher than auto racing.

One guy while I'm watching gets tossed off the front and his leather vest gets caught on the horns. So he's laid out on the bull's face. Not only is the bull really pissed, he can't see. So he backs up and SLAMS the guy into the wall. Backs up and does it AGAIN. And AGAIN. About 10 times. I'm thinking there's no way this guy gets out of this and I'm going to be writing about a death. Guy finally falls off the bull, gets up and hauls ass out of there. Sore but no real injuries.

9. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

For those who never had the pleasure or are unaware, the national rodeo finals (forgive me for not looking up the real name), Jim Murray used to take pleasure in going to cover those most years in Las Vegas. He loved writing about them.

10. ServeItUp

ServeItUp Active Member

National Finals Rodeo, SF. You're close enough, though, city slicker. :)

11. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Hey, man, I'm thrilled I got that close!!

And I'll have you know A) my condo development is only a mile from the Everglades; B) growing up in Wisconsin, I milked a few cows way back when.

12. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

You know, most people just opt for leather masks or a Little Bo Peep outfit.

Draft saved Draft deleted