1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bull Durham meets Ball Four

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BB Bobcat, Sep 10, 2010.

1. BB Bobcat

BB Bobcat Active Member

Just finished reading "The Bullpen Gospels." It's an autobiographical year in the life of a journeyman minor leaguer, Dirk Hayhurst.

It is very funny, laugh out loud at times, and has some very touching moments.

The dude is a damn good writer.

http://www.dirkhayhurst.com/Dirkhayhurst.com/Welcome%21.html

2. mjp1542

mjp1542 Member

It was pretty decent. An easy read, easy to pick up and catch up on when you have a few minutes. Some of the stuff was hilarious. I'd stop short at saying he's a "damn good writer" though. It's fairly easy to write a memoir like that when you have the stories to back it up. He put it together nicely, but I'm sure he had a little help.

3. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Dirk is a bright and funny guy with a lot to say. I can't wait to read this.

4. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

The beauty pf kindle - just read this thread- had book on kindle for 7.99 30 seconds later.

5. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

It was all right.

But Jim Brosnan (RIP) can rest easy.

6. BB Bobcat

BB Bobcat Active Member

That's exactly what I did ... in April ... and just now started reading it. Wish I had read it earlier.

Btw, a minor league guy that I've communicated with, and who is also an excellent writer, said he knows Hayhurst and talked to him about the book, and he's pretty sure he wrote it himself.

I'm not saying it's Hemmingway. I just think it's very well written.

7. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

From the few times I've heard him interviewed, he certainly comes across as a guy erudite and funny enough to write it himself.

8. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Thanks for starting this BB - ordered today and it will be here Monday (a day before my wife's Kindle arrives)

9. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

I've heard about this and it's on my list. Thanks for the confirmation.

10. Knighthawk

Knighthawk Member

Highly recommended.

11. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

When I saw the headline I thought it was going to be Jim Bouton signs with the Newark Bears or Orange County Flyers.

12. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Brosnan died? When?

Draft saved Draft deleted