1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bulk of news on Web still comes from newspaper reporters? True or false?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by fishwrapper, Sep 28, 2011.

1. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

I wonder what the numbers would be for non-local (i.e. prep) sports. How many people get their news from newspapers, how many from the national sites. Of course, it is "newspaper thinking" that people only get their info from one source. I'm sure most people go to various sites for info, even on the same story/topic.

2. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Again, the question isn't where people go to get the news. It's where the reporting to provide that news originates.

3. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

Correct. We can go around-and-around on the former. The latter is still a really important question.

4. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Without local newspapers (and, perhaps, radio and TV reporters), there would be almost no reliable reporting on city, school or other community issues in Podunk.

Nearly all the original, local web "news" from our area consists of bloggers who either:

1. Post links to newspaper web site stories along with their own commentary and the obligatory anonymous comments, or

2. Have an ax to grind and report the facts that support their opinion. We have quite a few critics of the city who "cover" the city council meetings and blog about what happened, but all through their filter of how things should be run.

5. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

A lot of people hate bloggers and "citizen journalists," but I don't mind them, for the most part. What bothers me is when they just rehash stories from the morning's paper and don't cite anything. Unless you work for a high-trafficked Website, chances are you're not doing any original reporting.

Also, most places people get news on the Internet is a paper's Website, so the paper still matters.

6. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

OK - well the question remains similar in sports. Who is doing the most reporting on non-prep sports stories? Obviously there are a ton more local outlets, but not like national sites don't report stuff.

I've said this before, but if you use my Orioles as an example - yes, there is the Baltimore Sun (which after Oct. 10 I guess I won't see as much), but there is also MASN, Orioles.com and, on the rare instances they are relevant, ESPN, CBSSports, SI.com, FoxSports, Sporting News, etc. Not to mention sites like Baseball Prospectus & FanGraphs.

My point is, yes newspapers are extremely important in the reporting/news gathering business, but they shouldn't get all high and mighty like the world would come to a halt if they stopped.

7. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

This is a real-world example how a savvy web user follows a team.
    The number of people who consume news, follow sports or a current event, like you do is growing. The number who are dependent on newspaper reporting or the nightly newscast is shrinking.

Draft saved Draft deleted