1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Buick Open on CBS

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by DocTalk, Aug 2, 2009.

1. DocTalk

DocTalk Active Member

It may have been because I've been on night shift and am sleep deprived but as I watched coverage on Saturday, I was struck by the announcers spending more time making nonsequitor remarks. I learned that Michael Letzig looks like Seinfeld's kramer and perhaps is the only person on the tour who would wear an undershirt. I listened to rah-rah commentary about players with birdie streaks. The tone of the broadcast was more NFL on FOX than golf on CBS, NBC or the TGC. Perhpas its the wave of the future but I found it jarring.

2. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

When it comes to golf coverage, CBS has traditionally been the most reverential and player-friendly, a tone set in granite by former producer Frank Chirkinian, who didn't mind humor in the right places (i.e. Gary McCord or David Feherty), but didn't want a Johnny Miller-esque figure ripping on the players.

3. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

On the other hand, I'm wishing Johnny Miller was doing the U.S. Senior Open this weekend in my hometown Indy. Feels like the NBC "B" team without him.

4. I think it has a lot to do with the event. The Buick Open has traditionally has a pretty loud crowd. The announcers actually celebrated it today by doing a segment in the gallers ay 17, I think.

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

the gallery at 17 is nuts; but part of the charm of a tourney like this.
    CBS has done this tourney well for years. I mean, hell, it's the Buick Open. Grand Blanc aint Augusta. And if I can shoot a 94 at Warwick, then it's not real tough.

6. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Geoff Shackleford had a great headline on his blog of the Buick Open (given the players Tiger trounced):

"Tiger Woods get long-awaited Nationwide Tour victory."

7. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Excellent, Hondo. If you know Geoff, pass on my compliments.

8. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

My hed: "Tiger closes Buick Open doors in style"

Draft saved Draft deleted