1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Buh-bye Rick Greenspan

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Bubbler, Jun 26, 2008.

1. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Indiana athletic director resigns in wake of new NCAA allegation.

http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaab/news;_ylt=Am5nHlTjYSSImmZ7BlmYzLQ5nYcB?slug=ap-indiana-greenspan&prov=ap&type=lgns

When I read the story on the wire at work, the first thing that entered my mind was, "I wonder how long it will take for the dimmer bulbs in IU's fanbase to suggest Bob Knight as AD."

Went to IU's message board and it was the first thread on the list.

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Dim bulbs fanbois are everywhere.
    Substitute Jimmy Johns for Greenspan and "Not one of Saban's recruits" for Knight and it was reading the Bammer boards yesterday...

3. Bubbler

Well yeah, but IU's are fun to make fun of. :D

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

You won't find Bob Knight texting messages and yapping to recruits at all hours on his cell phone, all I'm saying.

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Bammers are like clay pigeons...

6. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

As an IU fan/alum, I'm ready to accept a year's postseason ban. It's completely deserved for the level of ignorance and arrogance the athletic dept has showed the entire way, and in getting it the NCAA can pat itself on the back for being tough while IU fields a 10-win team that isn't going anywhere anyway.

7. Bubbler

I'll bet those 15-16 seasons are looking pretty good right now to the sizable segment of IU fans who couldn't get out of their own way to put a knife in Mike Davis' back, followed by an equal willingness to turn a blind eye to the obvious when Sampson was hired.

8. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

That segment of the IU fanbase can't be helped. Completely delusional. My father-in-law has his moments crossing over to that group...this entire time with Sampson he thinks the media caused the problem and that, hey, it's only phone calls.

9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Bad couple of months to be an AD in the state of Indiana. Anybody know what the deal was with Kevin White bailing out of Notre Dame for Duke? Was that for the Weis extension?

10. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

What's this going to be now, the fifth AD in eight years? The biggest problem with IU athletics isn't a coach -- it's that there's been no leadership at all for almost a decade.

11. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

You're right Bob.
    I think Indiana needs to bring back Myles Brand.

12. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Backtrack a little more. The board went around Kevin White and fired Ty Willingham. At that point, White probably started looking. That Duke was fortunate to get him - and not have to fire Joe Alleva, a worthless AD if there ever was one - was a serious stroke of good luck.

Draft saved Draft deleted