1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Buh . . . but . . . I thought Michael Moore didn't care about profits!

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Piotr Rasputin, Feb 10, 2011.

1. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Actually issues don't matter here. Michael Moore trashes big business for same thing he's guilty of: wanting to make money. Al Gore lectures everyone on energy and burning fossil fuels, and uses enough power in his home to run a carrier.

Hypocrites.

2. JR

JR Well-Known Member

OK. It's 56.6%. But you miss of course the larger point--that Michael Moore's "Roger & Me" was self financed.

Try harder.

3. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I'm going to ignore the Gore reference because it's irrelevant to this topic---but introducing irrelevancies is your hallmark around here

This may come as a a surprise to you but attacking bloated, inefficient and immoral big businesses and being an entrepreneur are not mutually exclusive.

This does not make Moore a hypocrite.

Moore may be a lot of things--egregious self-promoter being one of them-- but the "hypocrite" label is a lazy pejorative for the right-wingers who have run out of actual arguments

4. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Why should I?

You stole that "Try harder" line from elsewhere. No need to respect your use of it with anything but dismissal.

5. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Well, the source of "try harder" is up in the air. I think I used it back on sportspages.com, sometime before you were probably born

But if attacking that phrase instead of, you know, accepting responsibility for your dumbass thread title and your attempt to justify it makes you feel better, be my guest.

6. Piotr Rasputin

As you prove daily, age does not necessarily equate to knowledge or class.

7. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Can you get any more juvenile? What's next, "So is your mother?"

Your posts get funnier by the moment.

Word of advice: after you've started a thread with an idiotic title, try and let it die a slow death.

Trust me on this.

8. Piotr Rasputin

If that ever happens, I'll be sure to take that under consideration.

As for your accusations of me being "juvenile": apparently, age also does not lead to self-awareness. You couldn't possibly be serious with that, right? Not after you started with the whole . . . aw, forget it.

There's really no point, now is there? You'll continue to post as if anyone should actually listen, and I will continue to be amused at your vain attempts to be important.

9. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

So ... Michael Moore?

10. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

No, the truth is not debatable, unless you have no idea about Moore's behavior or you stick your fingers in your ears and close your eyes and yell real loud. I have friends who had to go at it with Moore to get what he owed them. And it was not an easy battle.

Moore wrote one of those "smear everyone with innuendo" letters that Salon printed after their article. Salon didn't "back off," as you put it. They printed a response to his rambling ad hominem attacks (when he gets criticized he goes on a smear run, without addressing the actual issue) from Radosh, who mostly ignored it except for a claim of libel Moore threw in there among the insults.

One criticism he gave to New York magazine, which picked it up, was that the writers were all jealous because they had been in TV for a while and they"went to Yale and Harvard" and were jealous that Moore had a TV show -- "presumably because Moore is a good ole regular guy from Flint, Michigan (living by then in a multimillion dollar apartment). It was a typical Moore performance. Act like a dick, get called on it, and make it, "Well they want to Harvard and Yale so they are jealous of me." Avoids having to acknowledge the truth and avoids talking about his own behavior.

The facts. Daniel Radosh didn't make it up, and is one of the most honest writers you'll every come across. I'll vouch for him, his writing and his truthfulness when he takes on things like this -- and he does. He didn't have to make it up. He knew a bunch of the writers from his SPY days and it's not as if lots of other people didn't know the whole story first hand, including me. I know several people who worked on the show. Randy Cohen, the one guy who publicly threw his name out there without fear it would hurt his career (which was already very accomplished), is not a liar. He won an Emmy for TV Nation, so really he has no reason to come out saying the things he has, unless it is true. He's also had no problems with any other employers, as far as I know, including David Letterman, for example.

There is absolutely nothing debatable about what a dick Michael Moore was in his treatment of everyone involved with TV Nation. When he wasn't trying to deny residuals and withhold payment, he was a bully with anyone not in a position to tell him to fuck himself. Sorry.

The things I have heard about what a dick he is with regard to everything else are things I don't know first hand. Just things I have heard. But I'd assume there is a lot of truth there, knowing it is Michael Moore.

Oh yeah. Forgot to include the fact that the Writers Guild has fully acknowledged openly that they have had to intervene on behalf on behalf of several writers against Moore.

11. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Ol' Ann . . . whatever happend to him?

12. britwrit

britwrit Well-Known Member

The November 4, 1996 article in New York Magazine is called "Mouth of the Left" and it's fascinating. You can read it through Google books.

That being said, the Weinstein brothers have an even worse rep. Though they're deservedly credited with actually loving films and indie movies, almost everyone has a horror story about dealing with them.

In this case, it's one egomaniac taking over two more about the fact he probably didn't get paid a slender amount of the obscene profits he was legally owed. It's not a pretty sight.

Draft saved Draft deleted