1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Buh . . . but . . . I thought Michael Moore didn't care about profits!

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Piotr Rasputin, Feb 10, 2011.

1. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

There are 310 million people in the country.

So I guess you can find two people somewhere who said that. So I guess those two are "they."

2. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Michael Moore has more entrepreneurial spirit than 3/4 of the people who like to trash him.

He may be a douchebag from time to time but to say he EVER claimed to be Mr. Altruism and doesn't care about profits is nonsense.

And if someone's suing a film company for withholding profits, nine times out of ten you know they're probably right.

As someone once joked, "Why did God invent the music industry? To make the film industry look good"

3. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Let's just say Michael Moore found out about creative accounting. Ah, Hollywood. The land where accounting departments can say Paranormal Activity and its sequel lost money. (Don't believe me? Look at how much those movies made and how much they cost. And I'm just using these movies as examples.)

4. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I think Michael Moore is transparently full of it. The fact that some people refuse to see it (but more and more do. Capitalism, his attempt to well, capitalize on the financial meltdown, bombed, and thankfully he has taken a break), has always bugged me.

I don't know if his claim has any basis. With him, I hold out the possibility it does, because he's full of shit. Although when the other party is the Weinsteins, I think it is fair to say there are no winners. If his claim does have merit, though, the first thing I thought of was TV Nation.

I wouldn't have pointed to this as evidence that he's a hypocrite, except for what he did when he produced TV Nation. I know this firsthand from two writers on the show who are as honest and hard working guys as you will ever meet. 1) He tried to strong arm the writers into not joining the Writer's Guild. So first, friend of the working man, didn't want a union getting in the way of his venture. 2) Throughout the run, and then after the show was canceled, Moore tried to stiff the writers. In other words, exactly what he is complaining about in this law suit. The irony is that several writers relied repeatedly on the Writer's Guild (which Moore tried to prevent them from joining) to fight him and get their payments, credits and residuals.

And we were not talking $2.7 million in that case. So, yes, this is yet more evidence of what a nasty, lying, full of shit blowhard the guy is.

3... 2... 1... till some sycophant weighs in about how he is the only person on earth who speaks the truth and how I just don't get it.

5. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Great post, Ragu.

So Moore is a hypocite who cashes in on the shortcomings of our modern society?

Sounds like he needs a 1-3 pm time slot.

6. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

U.S.A.! U.S.A.! U.S.A.!

7. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Your rant doesn't change the fact that people like Michael Moore and Al Gore are hypocrites.

8. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

Mike got better seats for the '04 Republican convention than he did from the Dems.
    Mike and, say, Ann Coulter probably sit in the same spot on their respective spectrums. The Dem leadership wouldn't touch Mike with a 10-foot pole, while Annie was the darling of GOP leaders - Mitt Romney had her introduce him at the '07 CPAC, an event attended by every Republican presidential hopeful.

9. secretariat

secretariat Active Member

Yeah, just because you don't agree with them! [/hondologic]

10. JR

JR Well-Known Member

That claim is at best debatable. Salon made the same accusation but couldn't provide any proof and backed off when Moore threated a lawsuit. He called the statements a "despicable lie".

I'm sure the truth, as usual, lies somewhere in between.

11. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

Never saw the man do a commercial.

12. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

How did you arrive at this particular statistic?

I'm sure you pulled it out of your ass had a very logical method for determining this number.

Draft saved Draft deleted