1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Buffett to GOP: Put up or shut up

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Baron Scicluna, Jan 12, 2012.

1. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

As we know, Warren Buffett has called on the rich to pay more in taxes. And the GOP's response, as well as a few others on here, has been "What's stopping him from volunteering to pay more?"

Well, now Buffett has called out the GOP's bluff. He is willing to match, dollar-for-dollar, any donation by GOP Congressmen and Senators to the government to reduce the deficit. And he's willing to pay $3 for every dollar that Mitch McConnell donates.

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/business/2012/01/warren-buffett-to-match-republicans-tax-donations/

Of course, McConnell's reaction is typical. "What about the Democrats?" Um, Mitch, your party is the one whining about paying taxes, not the Dems.

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Political grandstanding of the highest order.

I like it.

3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

[​IMG]

You've made a few million off being a Congressman? Well, I have billions!

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  4. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

At first thought, I don't get it as anything other grandstanding. His targets say it is a bad idea for more people to pay more taxes. If he disagrees, he can donate money to the government. How is challenging them to donate along with him, an approach they think is wrong-minded, calling their bluff?

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

If a congressmen thinks that helping out the USA is wrong-minded, does that mean they hate America?

6. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I don't know the answer to that one.

But I think the moral of this story is that Warren Buffett has the biggest wee wee.

7. Guy_Incognito

They think that having the public give more money back to the government is a wrong-headed approach to fixing the economy.

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

They're not the public. They're rich privates.

9. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

This Thread Is Useful Without Pictures.

10. Guy_Incognito

None of us are the public by ourselves, but we are as a collection of individuals. Are you really not getting this or are you playing with me?

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

He is asking them as private citzens -- like himself -- to give money to the government. You said that they think having the public give more money to the government is wrong. That doesn't address how they feel about themselves as indiduals lending a hand.

12. BrianGriffin

BrianGriffin Active Member

How you present his "targets'" logic is flawed. He said he is under taxed. They said "then volunteer your money." That's not logical because he wasn't proposing that people "volunteer" their money, he was proposing that all people like him be REQUIRED to pay more in taxes. If all were required to pay, he'd think it's fair.

So his response to this asinine notion that he volunteer his own money instead of an increased tax is completely apropos to the suggesting he volunteer his money.

EDIT was for clarity. Still not sure if it's quite clear.

Draft saved Draft deleted