1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Buffett buys The Roanoke Times

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Big Circus, May 30, 2013.

1. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

The former Media General picks up another big Virginia paper.

http://www.roanoke.com/news/1970744-12/warren-buffetts-newspaper-group-to-buy-the-roanoke.html

2. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Dammit. Was hoping it was the other Buffett.

3. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Just another Landmark piece gone.

4. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Roanoke shares UVa and VT content/beat writers with Norfolk, so I'd imagine something's got to be worked out in sports, unless buying The Virginian-Pilot is next on Buffett's list.

5. Hokie_pokie

Hokie_pokie Well-Known Member

The Pilot's the best paper in Virginia by a country mile. If he's looking to dominate the commonwealth's newspapers, that's the place to start.

I'd imagine it would take a very strong offer to get it away from Landmark, though.

6. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

I think Landmark is talking themselves into dissolving. The company now appears to several very small newspapers, Norfolk and a television station in Las Vegas. I give them a year before they sell Norfolk.

7. Cigar56

Cigar56 Member

Landmark has been trying to dump the Pilot for years. Trust me, if they get even a decent offer from Buffet they would sell in a heartbeat.

8. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

IIRC, they tried to sell every entity at once a few years ago. That didn't work, so they broke everything up.

I really don't want to see us sold to someone else. Landmark is a pretty good company to work for, IMO.

9. Can't be the pay.

10. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

http://www.omaha.com/article/20130718/MONEY/130719281/1685

Buffett adds the Atlantic City Press.

11. Drip

Drip Active Member

Great pickup for the Press. Finally in a decent chain. Hopefully, it will impove both the paper and the working conditions there.

12. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

It must be the opportunities for career advancement.

Why, in just seven year, you can go from part-time reporter covering high school and community sports to...

Draft saved Draft deleted