1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Buffett buys the Bryan-College Station paper

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by sprtswrtr10, Jun 20, 2012.

1. sprtswrtr10

sprtswrtr10 Member

http://www.theeagle.com/article/20120612/BC0101/120619857/1003/BC01

I hadn't realized Berkshire-Hathaway began this by buying the Omaha paper.
    Anybody out there from Omaha who can shed light on this story.
    Can Buffett save newspapers?
    Is he even trying to?
    How does he, or his firm, operate media?
    What's the story?
    Anyone …

2. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Damn, I was hoping it was the other Buffett and he was going to rename it The Coconut Telegraph.

3. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

We're about to change hands from Media General to B-H at the end of the week. He's buying up successful papers in one-paper towns and investing in the infrastructure. I'll post anything I hear once I find out. I do know my MG company credit card is being cut off come Sunday.

The MG folks will still technically be MG employees through the end of the year, but only for payroll/benefit purposes as they complete the transition.

4. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

He has said the right things about being an owner (investing in compelling local content, not imposing his political views on the paper's news coverage) and seems to be sticking to them so far.

5. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Per Romanesko, Buffett heads 90 miles up Highway 6 and buys the Trib-Herald as well.

http://jimromenesko.com/2012/06/22/warren-buffett-buys-the-waco-tribune-herald/

6. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Wish he'd head another 130 or so miles even farther north.

7. spud

spud Member

GOLDEN TOILETS FOR ALL.

8. spud

spud Member

This is super.

http://jimromenesko.com/2012/05/24/warren-buffetts-letter-his-editors-and-publishers/

9. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Berkshire Hathaway, feel free to keep expanding. For once, a newspaper with a reasonable mission statement and the deep pockets to fund it. Admittedly, the skeptic in me says a written mission statement is easy. But I'm impressed.

10. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Buy us!

11. MightyMouse

MightyMouse Member

Seems to be a common hope for many papers recently.

Our paper does fit the mold for what he's looking for, so our fingers are crossed.

12. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

Newspaper Work, With Warren Buffett as Boss

It's not utopia at The Buffalo News -- there are concerns about declining revenues, and empty chairs in the newsroom (albeit through buyouts instead of layoffs) -- but I'm reasonably sure none of my friends there are planning to move on any time soon, either.

A while back, someone questioned why Tim Graham would want to leave an allegedly comfy ESPN job to go back to TBN. The answer? For the chance to report and write stories like this: The picture of the cost of war

Draft saved Draft deleted