1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Buffalo Wild Wings is coming to Canada.....

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by JR, Aug 29, 2010.

1. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I love wings, and Charlie's in Somers Point, NJ, has the best around.
    I've never been to Buffalo Wild Wings, but I hate places like that.
    I can't stand schlocky, slick, self-styled sports bars. I like a sports bar that is just a local joint where people go.

2. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

Yeah, I don't miss the places at all. There's a reason they vanished from the state about a decade ago.

3. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

I was getting ready to chime in until I ready this post and will just sign my name to the bottom of it 100 percent down to the last word and move along.

4. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Never been to Quaker Steak & Lube although they opened one in Rogers Centre this year. I know guys who went to school in Ohio who swear by it.

Just scanned the BWW menu, isn't much there to make it stand out from the dozens of other places like it up here. We have loads of places that serve wings, hamburgers, wraps etc. And loads of places that show sports on TV - although it drives me as crazy as the others here when those places show crap like poker instead of live games.

My fave Toronto wing place was mentioned in the article in JR's original post: McSorley's on Bayview. Loved the Three Mile Island wings. I can vouch for the quality of the wings at the Goose too.

5. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

How can you screw up a wing? Seriously.

I dislike BWW for the crappy TVs, crappy seats, clueless staff, always having beer kegs out (then put a cup over the tap idiot) etc...

6. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I'd wonder the same thing about Hooters, no idea how you fuck up basic bar food. Don't get me started on the larcenous prices and pushy service.

7. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

'WAY-overpriced beer.

Mediocre wings.

Surly management.

They're not 100% scum, though. Do they still have 50-cent chicken-leg (normal-sized ones) on Tuesday nights? That's not bad. And they are
    a port in a storm for NTN/Buzztime junkies, because one of the chain's
    benchmarks is that they have to offer trivia.

'Course, too often, on big sports nights, idiot management will remove
    trivia from all screens . . . why? because they're slackjawed, splaytoothed morons . . .

8. JR

JR Well-Known Member

You can overcook them. You can undercook them. You can put too much breading on them. You can oversauce (in my case) or undersauce them.
    It should never happen but it does.

9. AreaMan

AreaMan Member

I'm OK with BW3s. We have two in my town and it seems one is definitely better than the other. It's that kind of inconsistency that drives folks to some of the other local sports bars around here. One place has their wings priced to how many runs the local MLB team here scores: 25 cent wins if they score 6-9 runs, 20 cent wings if they score 10-13 and 15 cent wings if they score over 14 runs. Good stuff.

10. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

The overbreading is endemic at the chain. And as much as they go into
    deep denial over it, people notice.

11. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

Once you've had grilled buffalo wings, you just can't go back to the oversauced/undersauced crap that BW3s or Hooters puts out.

If I'm at a BW3s, I'm ordering a Buffalo Chicken Wrap.

12. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Love the grilled and baked wings you get at places like St. Louis Bar & Grill and the Chick N' Deli here in Toronto. Keeps the mess - and I seem to get covered in stuff - to a minimum and tastes fucking great.

Draft saved Draft deleted