1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Buffalo copy editor/designer

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Editude, Jan 26, 2012.

1. Editude

Editude Active Member

A little brisk in winter, but Buffalo has been known as a solid place to work that pays a living wage:

http://www.journalismjobs.com/Job_Listing.cfm?JobID=1315727

2. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

If you are in any way thinking you might want to do sports design (or any design), jump on this job. You'll get a chance to work with one of the best designers in the country (in my opinion, the best).

3. Precious Roy

Precious Roy Active Member

Agree with Royal on working with Vince. If I was wanting to send my career in that direction and had the ability to head to Buffalo I would jump at the chance to work with him.

4. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

5. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Taxes within the city limits are nowhere near as high as elsewhere in Erie County and there is very affordable real estate. You can live in a great part of Buffalo (yes, there are some, quite a few as the city as actually undergoing somewhat of a renaissance) easily within a 15-minute commute. Also, lots of downtown buildings are being gutted and turned into apartments.

A good site depicting many of the changes:

http://www.buffalorising.com/

I grew up reading this paper (and the Courier-Express) and still read it online every day. They do a nice job in a region that loves its sports.

6. SCEditor

SCEditor Active Member

I don't know much about the paper, other than to agree with a few previous posters: Vince Chiaramonte is a bad-ass page designer. The best in the biz.

7. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  8. KWinMo

KWinMo New Member

That's an AWESOME design. Wow.

9. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

More on the gig, and more of Vince's designs: http://apple.copydesk.org/2012/01/26/buffalo-n-y-news-seeks-a-sports-copy-editorpage-designer/

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  10. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

I saved my copy of that Tebow cover. Both Chiaramonte and artist Daniel Zakroczemski are as good as it gets, and SE Lisa Wilson leads a great group of writers. (No, I'm not one of them. I should be so lucky.)

Couple more things: This is a Guild shop which has had some buyouts but no layoffs. And yes, Buffalo does have winter ... but when I drove by The News on Wednesday night, there was no snow on the ground.

11. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Buffalo: underrated town. There are some hidden gems there. Loved the ballpark when I went this summer.

The only thing that would concern me is ownership in the long term. When Warren dies, I thought I read the family had to divest everything per his wishes. That's not Gospel, though.

12. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

I heard the food in town is questionable.

Draft saved Draft deleted