1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by mustangj17, Mar 12, 2008.

1. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Or as soon as Ralph Wilson ends up as a RIP on sj.

2. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

The Los Angeles Lakers.
    The Utah Jazz.
    The Toronto Bills.

Yeah, business as usual.

3. BYH

BYH Active Member

He seems remarkably spry (and ornery) for an 89-year-old. I'm assuming he's going to stick around for a while.

How serious is the talk that Jim Kelly will lead a group to buy the team?

4. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Here's the problem with the Bills moving to Toronto.

They'd need a brand new stadium. Even now the Rogers Centre has passed its best-before date and is a bit of an anachronism--not to mention that it only seats about 51,000 for football.

And if the group who wants to bring the Bills here mentions public money to finance even a seat in a new stadium, they'll be dropped from the top of the CN Tower. It will never happen.

In addition, it strikes me as odd that the NFL would want to move a franchise into a foreign country when there are (I presume) still markets in the US that could support a franchise---not including LA.

Besides, the Buffalo Bills are my favourite team. The Toronto Bills would not.

5. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

You're first mistake was staring at a girl named "Prudie." I mean, where was it going to go? Heavy petting?

You would have been better off impressing us with your knowledge of how to use the word "that" (which we all immediately remove from copy) four times in a row.

6. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

Grrr....

Okay, some of it was funny. Turning serious, BYH, the stadium lease is up following the 2012 season and the team is reportedly in no hurry to talk about an extension. And moving the press box, which was supposed to be done this offseason so they could sell more premium seats at midfield? No longer on the agenda, I've been told. Draw your own conclusions. As for mine, I'm guessing it's not because they like you guys and want you to keep the better seats.

Kelly talks a good game, but his vague guarantees don't stack up well against Ted Rogers' overflowing bank account. Connect the dots, and 10 more years may be optimistic. I'm thinking five at best, and fewer if RCWjr. isn't around to see the lease end.

Here's one veteran beat reporter's opinion: Bills fans should start worrying
    The paper's ME followed up with a column of his own a few days later: Toronto is too tempting for Ralph

Wish I could disagree, but Chuck and I have done the same math. The numbers just don't add up for keeping the team in Buffalo.

JR, if PSLs are legal up there, it won't take government money to build a stadium. Bob Kraft privately financed his new playpen in Foxborough, and I believe the Giants and Jets are doing the same in the Meadowswamp. As for "why Toronto?" instead of another American city (disregarding L.A.), isn't the Centre of the Universe the fifth-largest city on the continent? Tough for San Antonio or Portland to compete. Add the league's well-publicized desire to capture the international market, and putting a team in Toronto is an easy call.

7. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Pseudo

You know what?

I worry that the Bills coming to TO will fuck up the CFL.

I'm a big Buffalo fan and as long as they stay there, I get to cheer for them and the Ticats and get to keep my antipathy for those gutless puke Argonauts. :)

I'd hate to lose that Toronto/Hamilton rivalry--one of the great ones--because the Bills moved to town.

8. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

JR, I agree with every word you said. I obviously have my own reasons for hating the idea, but anyone who loves the CFL should do the same.

Funny thing is... I know quite a few Canadian season-ticket holders, and a bunch more post on our site, but I have yet to find one who thinks moving the team to your side of the border is a good idea.

Nobody's asked for our approval, though, and I don't expect them to.

9. BYH

BYH Active Member

I'm sure the NFL is aware of that. Nothing wrong with knocking out another competitor, even one north of the border.

Good info, pseudo. I hope the Bills stay there. They're the only team in the state in which I live, after all. :D

10. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

THAT... was spot on.

11. JR

JR Well-Known Member

The CFL is this weird fucking Canadian institution--kinda like your eccentric Uncle Charlie who you see once a year at Thanksgiving and talks about his exploits when he travelled through India in the '60's. The NFL is your button down Uncle Fred who's a Wall Street.stockbroker. I mean, you like 'em both but Uncle Charlie's one of the guys.

Can you imagine the NFL having the fucking rouge? I said to someone yesterday that the rouge is a typical Canadian rule---awarding one point for failure i.e. missed field goal that goes out of the end zone.

Or import rules?

But three down football on a bigger field rocks.

12. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

yikes.

Draft saved Draft deleted