1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Buffalo Bills Beat Reporter- Syracuse, NY

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Zads07, May 13, 2014.

1. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Dude, things change. He's posting it today as a temp job and saying maybe it won't be that down the road. Might turn permanent if the hire does a bang-up job and/or the paper gets healthier, might not (my speculation, not his). Again, it's a job and Hank clarified it a bit for us. But no one's got a crystal ball in this biz anymore. It's a good opportunity for a certain kind of candidate.

2. Hank Domin

Hank Domin New Member

Thanks, playthrough. Hijack anytime.

Two more questions I think are worth answering.

Definitely not our intention. We'll know by February if this will be a viable, full-time job. And if we do as well as I think we will, we'd be silly not to have a full-time writer covering the team in the offseason. We just think seven months will be enough help us evaluate.

At the risk of sounding like one of those editors, we're simply looking for someone who has done and can do something special, someone who thinks differently and works hard and has fun, someone who understands web and alternative storytelling. Age doesn't matter. Geography doesn't matter (for now). Where you have worked and at what level doesn't necessarily matter (it's about what you've done, not where you've worked).

3. Decadent

Decadent New Member

I'll take X in the corner square for the victory.

4. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

This is a way to get NFL clips, and if they move, it's a great way to move yourself to the front of the candidates in the new city.

5. SirTypeAlot

SirTypeAlot Member

Guys, Decadent gets off flaming folks on here. The guy is a miserable sap who hates everything, he's most likely at the top of his personal hate list. His negativity is a cover for the fact that he has no original thoughts, has nothing intelligent to add to any discussions, and for his many personal failings. Why else would someone repeatedly act like a jerk in threads where snarky crap has no place? Best advice is to leave him alone, otherwise you're just adding fuel to his fire of ignorance.

6. Decadent

Decadent New Member

But I'm not offering an NFL job as a temp job and then claiming, "Well, it might become permanent!" And I'm not one of the people defending that.

You are. You lose.

7. boundforboston

boundforboston Well-Known Member

Hate to say it, but how many jobs in journalism are permanent? I guess it would be best to look at this like an internship.

8. RonClements

RonClements Well-Known Member

You know who this would be great for? A recent Syracuse grad who spent the last couple years on the Orange football beat. I'm sure this is a "local candidates preferred" type gig, but, heck, if I lived in upstate New York, I'd jump on it. There are only 32 NFL teams and, even if the Bills beat only lasts one season, you may meet someone along the way who likes your work and then, blammo, you could land a bigger, better - and permanent gig.

9. I imagine they will end up hiring a recent college grad looking for work. Maybe even from Syracuse. For someone in that position, this is a GREAT job. For someone who already has a quality job, it's not.

At least he's being honest and upfront. I think it would be unsavory if he were truly looking for someone to leave full-time employment, but I imagine he's not unless that person is in an incredibly special circumstance or has an incredibly bad current job.

10. TopSpin

TopSpin Member

If you're serious about turning this into a full-time position, you’ll likely slant that way in a hurry before February.

As most who have covered the league or currently do already know, there's no such thing as an NFL “offseason.” The only true lull in the non-stop reality TV show known as the NFL is the three-week period in July between the break of OTAs and training camp.

Best of luck in your search.

11. SirTypeAlot

SirTypeAlot Member

Um, reading comprehension much? I didn't defend him at all. All I did was warn everyone about what a jerk off you are. And, btw, you've obviously been losing for a long, long time. That explains your pathetic disposition.

12. Decadent

Decadent New Member

So you have no point here, then? We already figured that out.

Is there some special reason I should give the tiniest shit about your opinion? Right now, you sound much like an asscrumb drying in the sun.

Draft saved Draft deleted