1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Buffalo Bills Beat Reporter- Syracuse, NY

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Zads07, May 13, 2014.

1. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Gotta face the fact that in terms of supply and demand the outlet offering the job has the advantage. There will be somebody quite capable willing to take this job because they want to cover the NFL, maybe somebody young who doesn't worry as much about health insurance and a retirement plan as much as he should or maybe somebody whose spouse gets good benefits at their job.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Syracuse wasn't really covering the Bills before, right? So this is a job that didn't exist before. It's better than a lot of places that would just use AP or share a beat writer with a nearby paper. It's better than Wichita getting Chiefs coverage from the KC Star or Raleigh getting the Panthers from the Charlotte Observer.

I guess you could argue you aren't really a beat writer if you aren't writing traditional gamers, but the old model ain't working so why not try something different? Syracuse doesn't need to try to be the paper of record for the Bills, it might as well try doing something to differentiate itself from the outlets in Buffalo.

2. Hank Domin

Hank Domin New Member

Hey guys. I'm the guy who posted the ad. Let me see if I can answer a few of these.

You're right. I wouldn't quit a secure job and move my family for this. But I was a little younger, and I saw the potential that might outweigh the risk, I'd be all over it.

Maybe beat writer isn't the perfect job title. Maybe it's covering the guy-or-gal-covering-the-Bills-on-a-daily-basis-like-nobody-else-on-the-beat job.

Possibly. But we're hoping it's not a temp gig. And depending on your job situation, it could be a win-win.

Jake_Taylor gets it. Well said.

3. Decadent

Decadent New Member

It is a temp gig. You said so yourself. Why backtrack from that? Oh, right.

4. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Any chance this will pop up on a temporary basis again next season? And the season after that?

5. awriter

awriter Active Member

Seems to me that they're looking for a recent college grad, a reporter looking to move on from an entry level job or someone who's out of work and maybe is from the Buffalo area.

6. Decadent

Decadent New Member

Ya think?

7. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Enough pissing on this. There may be some young writers who want to get a foot in the door. And if we're going to play our usual little games on job threads, well, people will quit posting jobs. So please. Stop it.

8. Decadent

Decadent New Member

You mean a game like posting a temp job and then saying: "Well, maybe it won't be temporary"?

9. jr/shotglass

I mean don't turn this into a pissing match on a jobs thread. You don't need to have "editorial freedom" on this one area of the board. None of us do.

It's just poor form.

10. Decadent

Decadent New Member

Say there was a thread for these types of discussions. How long would it last?

11. jr/shotglass

I've got nothing more to say. Hank, sorry for hijacking.

12. Decadent

Decadent New Member

I'm sorry, too. But for different reasons.

Draft saved Draft deleted