1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Buehrle headlines?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by zeke12, Jul 23, 2009.

1. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Man, I hate doing this, but it has to be mentioned:

I've subscribed to TSN Today since it started, but I don't often click on it to read. Today, I did so because one of their Buehrle headlines hooked me. Big mistake.

Stan McNeal's column was chock-full of copy editing errors -- and the breakout box had at least one major factual error (Randy Johnson did not beat Atlanta 1-0 in his 2004 perfect game; it was a 2-0 victory. Groan.) ... Chuck "Knoblach's" name was misspelled on another page.

And I won't even get into the fact that their cover was ... a trading deadline story. Photo refer of Buehrle on the front. Man, who was in THAT budget meeting?

::)

2. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

That was the AJC's A1 headline when Johnson threw his perfect game. I forget what the sports headline was.

3. hwkcrz1

hwkcrz1 Member

BUEHRFECT!

4. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

I kinda dig it.

5. clutchcargo

clutchcargo Active Member

Yup, that was first thing I noticed----Barely a Buehrle mention on the front, and trade dedaline still 7 days away. Even the three MLB teams they had outfront for trade analysis were not the three most compelling teams right now. Jeepers. What were they thinking when paying out the front---did they have it done by 12 noon yesterday and couldn't motivate themselves to re-do it?

6. ScribePharisee

ScribePharisee New Member

I hesitate it being too heavy on him. The OF doesn't jump, this is 3B news today.

7. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

He did manage to get 26 other batters out without any miracle plays.

8. Songbird

It ALWAYS goes to the pitcher.

9. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Reserve outfielder saves game; pitcher not bad

10. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

And if it's not a perfect game, Wise's catch is a highlight and a possible mention in the story. Two go hand-in-hand, but perfect games are far rarer than highlight-reel catches.

11. ScribePharisee

ScribePharisee New Member

Hence, combined with the Obama factor, "BAILOUT" has to be in the equation.

12. Songbird

Buerhle/Obama?

Draft saved Draft deleted