1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bud's Latest Brainstorm

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Batman, Apr 29, 2010.

1. CitizenTino

CitizenTino Active Member

Are we sure that's how this works? The story linked in the first post just says: "A new rule would also prohibit starting pitchers from the Sunday preceding the All-Star Game to be part of the active All-Star roster."

To me, that means they could be selected (and receive their bonus), just not actually participate in the game.

2. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

That's how I read it, too. After all, chances are it's not set in stone which pitchers would even pitch on that Sunday when the teams are picked out. But then if they happen to pitch Sunday, they can be replaced. It ensures there will be enough pitchers who can pitch if needed. Also guys who need rest more than dress out for a game in which they won't appear can take three days off.

3. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Once a pitcher is selected, he's an All-Star. He may come to the game, take part in all festivities and be announced in uniform. However, he will be ineligible to pitch in the ASG if he pitches the previous Sunday and another pitcher will be named to the team. He will still get his bonus.

4. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

You're right. I misread that initially. I thought it meant they couldn't be selected. Which, now that I think about it, wouldn't be possible since you'd have to wait til Sunday to pick your pitchers.

5. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I'm for less players too. The need to get every player in the game means that this is more of a headache as opposed to "flexibility" for the manager.

And they need to seriously consider eliminating the rule that requires one player from every team. There are a lot more teams now than in 1933.

I know everyone wants to see "their guy" in the game, but it will be a better game if we lessen the number of players and select only the best players.

6. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Yep. It's hard to coordinate hospitality at the WS, since you don't know where it will be, or who will be playing in it, until the last minute.

The All Star Game is the top hospitality event for MLB & their partners.

I was a guest of MLB at the game in Milwaukee.

Everyone remembers the game ending in a tie. What you might not remember is that there was torrential rain on Monday night. The roof leaked during the Home Run Derby and the big party afterwards at the Art Museum had to be moved entirely inside.

Bud looked sick well before he threw up his hands late Tuesday night.

Draft saved Draft deleted