1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Budget talks: This is getting nasty

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by printdust, Jul 13, 2011.

1. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

I think liberals are on the right track. We need to get serious and centralize the means of poduction.

2. Magic In The Night

Magic In The Night Active Member

I'll make the strawberry ice cream!

3. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Apple already controls the means of pod-uction.

4. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Nope, everyone gets vanilla.

5. Magic In The Night

I like vanilla better anyway.

6. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

I should have guessed.

7. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

The article said $468 million of public funds went into that place.

That was giving $468 million -- which we are paying for with debt -- to a hand-picked industry.

Demand creates jobs. Demand didn't build that factory.

So I have no idea if that factory is really meeting any real demand, or if it siphoned almost half a billion dollars out of our economy that could have gone to a more productive, demand-driven enterprise. What businesses never got a chance to thrive, because political cronyism gave Johnson Controls a half billion advantage that we are all paying for now? Until you can answer that one, I am not buying the "government creates jobs," thing.

8. Magic In The Night

There is such a high demand for the Chevrolet Volt that one of our designers ordered one and can't get it for four months! So I'm guessing that they need batteries to put in those things.

9. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

THE ROYAL PENIS IS CLEAN!

10. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

A lot of people have a lot of courage, signing up for such an early generation of a relatively-new automotive technology . . .

11. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

$468 million is a rounding error to Uncle Sam. If we're spending that on r&d for something that could wean us off Middle Eastern oil, I'm way good with that.

12. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

The point is, if the demand is as great as you say, we didn't need to rack up half a billion dollars of debt -- *I* am partially on the hook for -- to build that factory. If it is demand driven, that factory builds itself.

But if your "guess" is wrong, the cost is greater than $500 million. From what potentially productive, demand-driven areas of the economy did we just take half a billion dollars and destroy potential GDP? This is a zero sum game.

Draft saved Draft deleted