1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Budget Cuts Claim Another.....

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by JD, Jan 10, 2008.

1. Cadet

Cadet Guest

I'm so sorry to hear this, JD. Fuck them.

If you want to answer vaguely, that's fine, but what did you give up to take this job? Move across town? State? Country? Away from family? Was this a pay increase? Did they pay any moving expenses?

2. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

fuck, i forgot about that little fact. but hopefully he worked in cali before he took the job.

3. JD

JD Member

20. No college education, and I've written for three newspapers and two websites.

4. BigSleeper

BigSleeper Active Member

I am sorry to hear about this.

I echo all the advice on here: apply for unemployment ASAP if eligible; try to stay positive; and get as far away as you can from newspapers. It's OK to be pissed now, but be smart tomorrow.

5. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

"It's OK to be pissed now, but be smart tomorrow."

solid. damn solid.

6. cathack

cathack New Member

Holy shit JD, sorry to hear that. As someone who use to work about 20 miles from Woodland, I can't believe the Daily Democrat is going to a one-person sports staff. My best to you in landing on your feet.

7. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

{raises hand}

Got a check and a confidentiality agreement. Nobody in my shop, including the suits, were happy about what happened but the order came from higher up.

Damn. Once upon a time, you would have been a prodigy. Now? Hell .... you're young enough that you can easily do something else if that's what you want.

Now go apply for unemployment.

8. Editude

Editude Active Member

And if you're eligible for unemployment, be persistent in seeking it. A buddy was laid off recently from a major chain, and when he applied for unemployment the company denied the claim. He found out that the company fights every claim; he eventually started getting his due.

9. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I'm guessing you're a young kid...

Run, as fast as you can away from this profession... Don't look back. This industry has gone to shit and I've seen so many great writers and editors get forced out that it sickens me...

I'm not trying to be funny or a smartass... Get as far away from this industry as possible... You can thank me later...

10. MoociePooh

MoociePooh New Member

Keep the faith -- justice will prevail. This was so unfair -- but it the way things have been going in the newspaper business lately.

11. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

Moddy,
    Glad he could pick up your spirits.

12. Yeah, it sort of did remind me of one of those Geico "good news, I saved 20 percent on my auto insurance" commercials.

Draft saved Draft deleted