1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Budget Cuts Claim Another.....

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by JD, Jan 10, 2008.

1. Christ. Sorry to hear that. What are you going to do now? Am also curious to hear about the severance package ...

2. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear that...

3. JD

JD Member

It's a cheap small-town rag, and I've only been there three months like I stated.....840 bucks for severance.

4. joe

joe Active Member

Apply for unemployment. Tomorrow. Because you have to wait a week from when you apply before you can start receiving "benefits". Good luck.

5. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

JD, I feel very badly for you.
    I do feel better about my decision to leave the business, not that it does you any good.
    Hang in, man.

6. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

That's a month's rent, so you've got a little cushion. Things will be better. Karma does work sometimes.

7. PHINJ

PHINJ Active Member

Holy shit, this is horrible.

If you might need to lay off someone in three months, you don't hire them, assholes. And if you didn't realize that was a possibility three months ago, you are a moron.

Lack of leadership and foresight in this industry is appalling.

Good luck, JD.

8. Montezuma's Revenge

Montezuma's Revenge Active Member

I'm really sorry to hear that. Wish I had something more useful, but that's all I have. I spend a lot of time these days rooting for karma.

9. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

$800 ... sounds like a PS3 and Rock Band to me.

Hopefully you're not as dumb as I am and use it better than that. Actually, hopefully you find something soon so you can piss that money away on something stupid.

Good luck.

10. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i echo the "apply for unemployment the second you're eligible" rant. don't fuck around and blow it off. be the first person in line the morning you're eligible.

and, btw, i'm sorry to hear you had your chain yanked.

11. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

That sucks, man. Sorry to hear it.

How old are you, BTW?

12. JLawson

JLawson Member

I don't know how it works in Cali, but here in Nevada you have to be with a company for six months before you're eligible for unemployment. Then some companies here do what Starman said and get rid of you days before your sixth month anniversary.
    Tough break man, good luck.

Draft saved Draft deleted