1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Budget Cuts Claim Another.....

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by JD, Jan 10, 2008.

1. JD

JD Member

So I go into the office today at the Woodland Daily Democrat in Woodland, CA......I've been there for about three months, and am only two weeks away from gaining benefits with my probation period coming to an end.

So as soon as I get settled at my desk, my editor comes to me and requests that my SE and I step into his office. We walk in, and our HR rep is there. I am then told that my job has been cut due to budget reasons, and I am given my severance package.

Flat out, this sucks.

2. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Wow, dude. I'm really sorry to hear that. I hope you land on your feet all right and that package can tide you over for a bit.

Best of luck, sir.

3. Breakyoself

Breakyoself Member

sorry to hear it man. that is rough. good luck and i hope the package was decent.

4. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

That really blows, man. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that you can land safely on your feet somewhere. Good luck.

5. JD

JD Member

I appreciate all your kind words..

6. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

That just sucks. Good luck in finding something quickly.

7. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Good luck finding something else. The market sucks nowadays.

8. sgaleadfoot

sgaleadfoot Member

damn, hate to hear that. hope stuff works out for you.

9. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Not that you can do anything about it, but just wait and see if they miraculously "find" enough money in the budget to hire somebody else in a month or so (who in turn will amazingly get laid off about 86 days into his 90-day probationary period). Some companies are famous for this shit -- they hire people knowing full well they're going to dump them before the benefits kick in. (Or, in turn, if there's a veteran staffer making too much money they want to get rid of instead, they figure out some excuse to whack the oldster and keep the rookie.)

At most of those places, the "severance package" consists of a banana box to crate up the stuff in your desk, and a security guard to walk you out the door.

If you paid your own way to move across state, signed a lease etc etc, tough shit for you. Welcome to 21st Century journalism.

10. Stone Cane

Stone Cane Member

hang in, bro

save some room in the lifeboat for the rest of us

11. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

Did they -- and I'm not being a Dick -- offer placement services or guidance as part of severance?

12. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

That sucks, JD.

Now take this opportunity to get as far away from this industry as you can. Become a fireman. Go back to school and become a teacher. Something other than this dying business that is bound to be left to only idiot bosses in another five years.

Follow this advice and in 25 years you'll thank me.

p.s. Out of curiosity, what kind of severance package do they have for someone who's only been there three months?

Draft saved Draft deleted