1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Budget cuts at CNBC

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by 2muchcoffeeman, Nov 12, 2008.

1. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Given the uptick in viewers during the financial trainwreck, this is surprising.

http://www.observer.com/2008/media/broke-peacock

Also of note: NBC's chief of bureau in Washington is encouraging staffers to accept buyout offers, which have evidently been offered to everyone there.

2. markvid

markvid Guest

No, it's not really that surprising, given NBC/GE has mandated major budget cuts across all networks and platforms.

3. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Big deal ... they went from zero to a few thousand.

4. clutchcargo

clutchcargo Active Member

I guess there's a part of me that says misery loves company---being a newspaper person and seeing what we're going through while knowing that the city slickers at the TV cable networks are also getting to share in the cuts. No, I"m not thrilled by this, but just a passing thought.

5. lono

lono Active Member

On CNBC this morning, they were talking about Olberman making $7.5 million a year. The CNBC folks were not happy.

6. markvid

markvid Guest

That just adds to the list of GE employees who hate him.

7. clutchcargo

You think I don't know that? Go back and read what I said----I'm making a point that all of the posters here who bemoan the apparent demise of newspaper industry need to realize we are not alone, and the wide swath of cuts is not just idiocy exhibited by newspaper bigwigs.

8. clutchcargo

In two months Olbermann won't have Bush and Cheney to kick around anymore with his snide, off-the-top-of-the-head remarks. He'll be pretty much useless kissing up to Obama, Pelosi et al the next four years---he gets $7.5 mil a year for that??!!

Oh, please forgive me you Olbermann-ites for my sacrilege.

9. markvid

markvid Guest

He and O'Reilly switch roles, that's all.

10. clutchcargo

Yeah, pretty much. Rush Limbaugh's stock will shoot back up again, at least until Obama and crew get the Fairness Doctrine back on the books. So much for free speech----Al Franken and those other liberal clowns on Air America scored ratings about as good as the NHL, and when Franken gets the Minnesota Senate vote manufactured in his favor once and for all, Franken will be right there withy Obama gleaming when they shut down Limbaugh, Hannity and all. God forbid the government for infringing on Gitmo prisoners' free speech, but, hey, conservative commentators are fair game.

Welcome to America.

11. markvid

markvid Guest

Fairness Doctrine will never live to see the light of day.

12. clutchcargo

Just curious--what do you base that prognostication on?

Draft saved Draft deleted