1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Buddy Holly's Last Tour

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Rough Mix, Jan 26, 2009.

1. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

or Hitler.... if you are doing math where 4 lives equal 3,500

2. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

B'udi H'ali, the founding member of Al Qaeda. ::) ::)

3. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Yeah, I can see the bodies in the pic. The pictures that I've seen (which I can't find at the moment), show a different angle, where you can see all four bodies strewn about. It's a pretty haunting photograph.

And I see how bad the trip was with all the miles on the crappy bus. Why do I get the feeling that the tour promoters told the musicians to '"Sing smarter, not harder?" ::)

4. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Baron, that would be quite a pic. The pilot was still in the plane. Big Bopper was tossed earlier than the others. One reason his son wanted him exumed was to see if he had somehow survived the crash and tried to get away.
    The argument on board, tussle, bumping pilot, he becomes disoriented theory gets a lot of love in some places.

Weird shit no matter what, that's for sure.

5. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I had meant to say that you could see the pilot in the plane, with the musicians strewn about. I've found some pics on the web, but I haven't found the clearer one where you can actually see the pilot in the plane, yet.

http://adventurebooks.newsvine.com/_news/2008/06/03/1533787-it-wasnt-the-fuel-line-how-the-buddy-holly-crash-actually-happened

Found this article, with colorized photos of the crash (WARNING: Don't look at if you are sensitive). I can't imagine seeing these photos in a paper back in 1959, even if they were black and white.

EDIT: I also found from the above link a video of the crash, with the same warning:

6. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Includes some on-site video

7. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Anyone else see the Buddy Holly musical that was making the rounds some years back. It had two very successful runs in Toronto, I saw it five times. Loads of fun.

8. GuessWho

GuessWho Active Member

Read an interview once with Holly's brother, who the last I heard still lived in Lubbock. Said he had to go to Iowa to ID the body and bring it home, and he threw up when he saw Buddy in the morgue.

Have also visited the Surf Ballroom. Wonderful old venue, but I also fell in love with Clear Lake. Very picturesque, neat little town.

One other thing: Garrison Keillor once did a 21-minute soliloquy on Holly's death on his "It's been a quiet week in Lake Wobegon" segment of Prairie Home Companion. It was total fiction, of course, but very well done and kind of haunting. I've got it on a CD, but can't find a link to post the audio.

9. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

The youtube radio announcement of the incident (
    ) -- recreated or an actual recording? Sounds fake to me, even with the style of the time.

10. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Just wonder how the landscape of American music might have changed had Holly lived. What he might have created between 59-64 that could have been even more of an influence on artists to come, altered the whole British invasion dynamic, etc.

Certainly was quite prolific for such a young man. How different he could have made things today is an interesting thought to ponder. And there aren't many others, if any, you can conjecture could have had such an impact.

11. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

There are not many sj members even old enough to know that he had an impact in the first place.

12. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Dave Marsh touched on this in one of his books, might have been the 1,000 greatest records ever. I'd have to look it up to be sure.

Holly was a huge trailblazer, the guy who created the rock band lineup - guitar, bass and drums - and wrote almost all of his material (and from what I've read produced them as much as an artist could be involved in that in those days).

Draft saved Draft deleted