1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Budding Yanks-Rays rivalry??

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by the_lorax, Mar 12, 2008.

1. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Mike Piazza and Guillermo Mota didn't seem to think it was only spring training.

2. BYH

BYH Active Member

If Piazza got a hold of Mota, he would have killed him.

And the Mets, being the scumbags they are, gave Mota Piazza's locker a couple years later.

3. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I didn't know that. It sure turned out well for everyone.

4. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

Wouldn't the Rays ever have to be good for a rivalry to even be possible?

5. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

You should pay more attention to the Rays this season. They're going to be a lot better.

6. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

I think this was a mistake by Girardi. What possible advantage can there be for the Yankees to be in a rivalry with the Rays? Get them to gear up for you even more than they do? Give them and excuse to think of themselves as equals? Stupid. Send the catcher for surgery & move along.

7. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

The rivalry has been there since the Rays were hatched. With the Yanks spring training and having offices in Tampa, Steinbrenner thought the area belonged to him. He wasn't entirely wrong, Yanks fans have always packed the Trop for Rays games. The Yanks beat up on the Rays even worse than the rest of the league did in the first two years of the team's life, then the Rays began playing the Yanks as tough as any other team in the league. And there have been some fights along the way.

But as others have said, this year there won't be a 35-win difference between the teams. That will make it juicier.

8. rube

rube Active Member

This reminds me of my Tigers back in the '99-'03 era ... they were so shitty that the only way they could get anyones attn was to try and fight whoever they could.
    I'll never forget Robert Fick (who closed out old Tiger Stadium with a salami by the way) getting beer dumped all over his head after making a unprovoked run at some ChiSox bullpen pitchers.

Lesson learned ... you can't ever take the Devil out of the Rays.

9. spnited

spnited Active Member

Just in case there was any doubt, Shelley Duncan just bought himself a full-year roster spot on Girardi's newer, tougher Yankees... even when he hits .220 and strike out way too often.

10. Ruth-Gehrig

Ruth-Gehrig Member

The entire scenario would be hilarious if it wasn't so lame.
    First off, Duncan thinks he's Bruce Lee. Can't say I blame the Rays for attacking him.
    Second, What's up with Gomes?
    He had at least a 100-yard run before he reached Duncan, and that's the best he could do?
    He'll never be an enforcer in the NHL, that's for sure.
    And what's up with the sunglasses.
    If he really wanted to kick butt, he would have got rid of the shades well before reaching his prey.
    What a joke?

11. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Girardi.... biggest putz on the baseball planet.

12. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

The only way the Rays own the Yanks is if they buy the Yes Network package on their sattellite dish.

Kazmir cannot pitch a complete game every day.

Draft saved Draft deleted