1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bud Black puts Milton Bradley at Risk

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by markvid, Sep 24, 2007.

1. JackyJackBN

JackyJackBN Guest

I believe it has to do with gambling first and foremost. The umps are better kept out of the limelight.

Example: if you know an ump with a tight strike zone is behind the plate, and Jamie Moyer is on the mound, you bet against Moyer. And vice versa.

Add some kind of grudge to that equation, and...well, you don't want to do that. And MLB wants to keep grudges under wraps.

Plus it's bad PR.

I'm not saying it's right; I'm saying there are reasons.

2. markvid

markvid Guest

Very good points, but MLB needs to make the point not even the umps are above the game, despite their delusional belief.

3. Umpires are far more chastened now than they have been at any other time in recent history.

Their once-invincible union was destroyed, the MLB evaluation system strengthened and umpire autonomy severely limited.

In the 1980s, umpires were like Teamsters -- obnoxiously lazy and belligerent -- because they knew they were untouchable. Not so today.

Winters may or may not be an ass, but it has nothing to do with any "new trend" of umpires getting too big for their britches.

4. boots

boots New Member

Bradley is out for the year with a torn ACL. Personally, I hope he lawyers up.
    http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3033346

5. markvid

markvid Guest

Why in the world wouldn't Froemming let Winters talk to the media?
    Coward.

6. I hope he does, too, just to see the judge laugh as he tosses the suit out of court.

7. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Why don't you refer your lawyer friend, the one who was on-call with your imaginary HR "problem"?

8. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Uh oh....here we go again.

Idiotic threadjacks and pretentious contrarians aside....

It does look like this incident was started by the umpire. He was definitely out of line and there is no excuse for an umpire baiting a player like that.

BUT...Bradley is now injured because once again he failed to show any self-control on the field. That incident illustrates everything that has held Milton Bradley back his entire career... his lack of self-control and his inability to stay healthy, all rolled up into one ugly, season-ending incident. While he is right to be angry, blaming the injury on the umpire is just silly and childish. He could have argued without losing control and physically going after the guy. Bradley is hurt for two reasons -- his own impulsiveness and bad luck.

9. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I just need Bradley to play out the week since I'm running second in my fantasy league...

Bastards... ;D

10. boots

boots New Member

There may be some truth in what you say, but it does appear that the umpire egged him into a confrontation.

11. JackyJackBN

JackyJackBN Guest

Since Bradley is injured, the Pads have the right to replace him in the postseason with the player of their choice from the 40-man roster, right?

So, if they make it to the postseason, who should that be?

12. markvid

markvid Guest

Tony Gwynn.

Draft saved Draft deleted