1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bud Black puts Milton Bradley at Risk

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by markvid, Sep 24, 2007.

1. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

I also talked to him a few years back and thought he was very genuine. Fairly humble too.

2. JoelHammond

JoelHammond Member

Did Webby put the ignore button on ignore?

Why can't I ignore someone now?

(This stems from the advice I was going to give Mark, to you-know-what boots. Not sure why, Mark, you continue to play into the guy's hands.)

3. boots

boots New Member

Mark and I were having a nice conversation. Nothin more. Nothing less. I have never had any dealing with you and nor do I intend to right now.
    I have no idea why you would comment the way that you have. Except to drum up the ol' let's get boots diatribe.
    Do yourself a favor joel. If you don't like the comments, use the ignore button. That way you will be spared anything that I have to comment on.

4. JoelHammond

JoelHammond Member

My point exactly, sir. For some reason, I'm having trouble locating the ignore button. I'll find it, don't worry.

5. JoelHammond

JoelHammond Member

Nevermind. I feel like a horse's patoot.

6. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Some people may scoff at this, especially the ones who claim steroids are ruining the game... but left unchecked, this problem of umpires feeling they're bigger than the players and the game itself could cause significant damage to the game itself.

Umpires like Mike Winters need to be restrained. So do C.B. Bucknor, Angel Hernandez, Sam Holbrook and a few other umps. It's gotten to the point where if I'm at a game I cringe if I hear one of these umps is working the game.

When you dread a certain umpire behind the plate or on the bases, you know the time's right for a change.

7. markvid

markvid Guest

I agree totally. The union got way too powerful and nothing has changed even though they were destroyed a few years ago.
    I do not believe, however, that an umpire, 3 innings later, would call Milton a fucking piece of shit. I'd want that one corroborated by another player. If he was standing one 1st base when it happened, I'd bet you'd have 2 other witnesses.

8. Sure was nice and quiet around here last week.

9. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

All the reporters in the clubhouse said he would eat me alive during a 1-on-1 interview. It was great and he was very humble. I asked some good questions and he mentioned that he thought I did as well.

10. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

There's been much too much player baiting on the part of umpires in recent seasons and it's getting worse. Too many of them think they're part of the show. I know this isn't original, but it's true: umpires' best games are when nobody knows they're there. Umpires need to get back to that line of thinking.

11. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Dead on. Perhaps that matter can be addressed, though since Selig has gonads the size of ants, it won't happen soon. Why can't Bob Watson come down on umps too?

12. markvid

markvid Guest

And in the hell freezes over moments when umps are disciplined, the details are never revealed.
    Total hypocrisy.

Draft saved Draft deleted