1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bud Black puts Milton Bradley at Risk

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by markvid, Sep 24, 2007.

1. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Driving in this morning when I heard about this on the radio I was sure that either Angel Hernandez or C.B. Bucknor was going to be the umpire involved.

2. boots

boots New Member

No Mark. I don't stereotype people which is exactly what you're doing.
    If the guy is nuts, it would be very easy for you to say why.
    You can't. Why? Because you're stereotyping. I'm not getting on you. I just would like for you to look at a situation from a different perspective before making a rush to judgment.

3. boots

boots New Member

Mark the guy is hobbled. I don't think that's overreacting.
    Explain how he overreacted in this situation.

4. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Milton Bradley overreacted because he is playing in a pennant race with a team that is fighting for their pennant lives. Every ounce of his concentration should be on playing the ballgame and doing every single thing in his power to help his team win games. By arguing with the ump (even though Milton apparently is in the right re: the umps) he is NOT doing everything to win games.

That said, the umps in baseball are just so bad. They are unprofessional at best.

The 1b umpire started jawing with Bradley about a play that happened three innings previous. He called Bradley a 'fucking piece of shit'. Why on earth is MLB employing umpires who escalate situations instead of diffusing them?

There are no "rights" in this situation, only wrongs. The umpire should be suspended if not outright fired. Bradley, despite being harassed by the ump, should have kept a laser focus on playing and winning the game, not getting into a pissing contest.

5. markvid

markvid Guest

Ok, a player has to be physically restrained from going after an umpire for the 6 millionth time, but I have to explain to you why I (and a shitload of other people) think he's nuts?

Lemme explain the "Boots derails yet another thread principle"

Boots reads thread, let's say on, oh...why was Christ crucified?
    Someone posts that Christ deserved it for being a fraud.
    Boots posts that if you knew Christ like I do, I've met him, he's not a fraud.
    (Oh, by the way, your 80-year old "friend" you had to pathetically name-drop yesterday? I'd bet 80% of this board has met him and know him. You're not in some exclusive club, we're journalists, sometimes we meet celebrities - shocking, huh?)
    Boots then wants an explanation as to why Christ is a fraud. We should be able to say why with no problem, you can't have an opinion unless it agree with his or you offer a full and complete explanation to him.
    Boots is then called out, then Boots goes into WHY IS EVERYONE PICKING ON ME? mode.
    Boots then sends incessant PM to the person asking what their problem is with him, while stating that he hates no one and we shouldn't either.

Lather, rinse, repeat.

Thanks for taking my call, I'll hang up and listen.

6. boots

boots New Member

Mark, this is not a boots thread. You're trying to turn it into one because you can't defend your stereotyping of Bradley.
    All I'm telling you is to open your mind a bit. Stop following the crowd and stop stereotyping. Think for yourself and not what others may think about you.
    If you're trying to win friends and influence people, you're on the right path. But this isn't about that. I asked why is this nuts and you try to turn it into a thread about me.
    Again, keep the stereotyping out of it.

7. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Oh for fucks sake, enough is e-fucking-nough!!!!

8. markvid

markvid Guest

Again, Boots, don't tell me what I can and cannot think and post.
    Period.
    I want to think he's nuts? I will think that, and I will not formulate any opinion without having to run it past you or explain it for your approval.
    Go back and look at Milton's history, I think I can say he's nuts.
    Stereotyping is if I said he's got anger because he's black.
    But, you love to throw out the close-minded stereotyping card at the drop of a hat.
    That's just one man's opinion and I approved this message.

9. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

My first ever MLB interview in a clubhouse was Milton Bradley. He didn't eat me alive. I thought he was a changed man.

10. boots

boots New Member

Mark, you're taking this the wrong way. No, you don't need my approval to post anything. I don't throw out any so called card at the drop of a hat.
    Milton's past isn't pretty but that has nothing to do with what may have been an injustice to him. I'm just trying to get you to look at this incident from a different perspective.
    You have a tendency to take things personally. Yet, I don't hold that against you and your way of thinking. I hope you can see the difference.

11. markvid

markvid Guest

No, you want it looked at from YOUR perspective.
    I think he's nuts. I will not change it, explain it or otherwise.
    You really need to stop asking everyone to explain themselves.
    We all have varied opinions and when you start realizing that, the better off you'll be.

12. boots

boots New Member

Mark, that's your problem. You can't explain yourself or your actions. What you think about me isn't putting a dime in or taking a dime out.
    We have a difference of opinion. I can look at your side. I think you have problems looking at my side.
    One major difference is that I don't take this personally. Apparantly, you do. I think once you do that, you may find yourself as being better off.

Draft saved Draft deleted