1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Buck Showalter fired

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Football_Bat, Oct 4, 2006.

1. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

With Showalter, it's not so much the retread phenomenon as it is the yo-yo phenomenon. A team that loses with an easygoing mananger blames the failure on the manager being easygoing. So the team reasons that doing the opposite will have an effect opposite of failure. That's how a Showalter and a Mike Keenan keep getting hired and fired, because the yo-yo eventually turns to "tough manager/coach isn't having success, let's do the opposite."

2. shockey

shockey Active Member

did i miss the memo? when did buck win ANYTHING worth bragging about?

3. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Setting the table for Torre and setting the table for Brenly is enough to interest a team or two. Plus with his ESPN gig, it puts the team in the forefront more than the hiring of a Fredi Gonzalez...tho Gonzalez is probably a better hire.

4. Probably when he won 2004 AL Manager of the Year. I know you mean titles, and I'm not arguing against the firing, I'm just saying... After working with him personally during my career, I don't think he's as bad of a manager as people think. Some of his stories about his time in NY are great. If he's brought in to take a shitty team and rise to an underacheiving team, then that's fine.

The Pirates or Royals better get on the phone quickly.

5. shockey

shockey Active Member

wow. those manager awards are soooooo impressive.

i meant on-the-field wins of significance.

6. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Meanwhile, headline writers throughout DFW are praying that bench coach Don Wakamatsu doesn't get the job.

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Based on Showalter's last two stops, the Rangers will win the series either next season or in 2008...

8. Good one. Try reading my ENTIRE post before you bitch. Thanks.

Draft saved Draft deleted