1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Buck Harvey - Parcells Has No Clothes

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Dec 11, 2006.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Nice Column by Buck Harvey- A rare columnist who is willing to take the king to task as opposed to playing the apologist.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/columnists/bharvey/stories/MYSA121106.01D.1Dbuck.36d2747.html

2. RokSki

RokSki New Member

That's a great column, Boom. Thanks for posting it. I read it late last night, and I agree with almost all of it. Payton took his inside knowledge of Parcells, D-Coordinator Mike Zimmer, and the Cowboys' weaknesses and thoroughly humiliated the Cowboys and Parcells in front of a national audience.

Parcells' and Zimmer's adjustments were non-existent or insufficient. N.O. scored just as many points in the second half as they did the first. Plus, Parcells - with his illegal challenge near the end of the first half - kept a N.O. drive alive and allowed N.O. to score the TD to put them ahead 21-7 at the half.

Parcells is a great coach, and Zimmer is a great coordinator, but they were completely outmatched last night by Payton and his staff. That's about as lopsided a coaching 'chess match' you will ever see. And curmudgeon Parcells, in the post-game presser, just couldn't bring himself to criticize his staff's coaching, instead talking only about 'execution' of the players. Total BS. I'm not saying the players played well - they didn't - but they had no shot with the way the game was called by the two coaching staffs.

The only good news for Cowboys fan is that this happened in the regular season and not the second round of the playoffs. If Big Bill can take stock of what really happened, he can start to make the adjustments he didn't make last night.

3. BYH

BYH Active Member

At least Parcells took his beating from a protege like a man, shook hands with Payton and told him good game.

Unlike Bill Belichick.

4. RokSki

RokSki New Member

Great point. Belidick strikes again. Quasimodo and his cutoff hoodie no like Mangini.

5. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

True dat.

And Rokski, you don't have to stop indenting. That's your signature style. It's like Jordan's bald head and BYH's amazing ability to make people feel crap. ;D

6. Trouser_Buddah

Trouser_Buddah Active Member

That IS amazing... :D

7. RokSki

RokSki New Member

I appreciate the support, CT, and you have a point. I just decided to change it because it's easier to do on SJ. Whenever I do a post without quoting someone else, the first paragraph ends up in block format even if I indent it. I got tired of constantly modifying my posts, so I switched. If I felt I was losing my 'identity,' I would definitely not switch my style. But it's not a biggie to me. Thanks for the support, though. I appreciate it.

Trouser, I love the avatar. Loved that cartoon.

8. BYH

BYH Active Member

Wow, I don't know what to say. I've apologized to Chuck for knocking his love of Vick and I think he's a good guy...a little over-enthused about Vick, but we all make mistakes.

But I heart almost everyone. And if you'll notice, most of the annoying people here lack the ability to feel bad about oneself.

9. RokSki

RokSki New Member

Very tough to not like someone after this.

Besides, BYH is skilled at making people feel like crap. Not many bring the tools he does to the 'making people feel like crap' table. That has to count for something, doesn't it?

You're ok in my book, BYH. I think we're both in the same Curmudgeon Guild, anyway. : )

10. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

BYH is too young to be a carmudgeon. But he's still an old asshole. And he won't give up the mullet.

11. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

He is a curmudgeon in training. spnited has been mentoring him

12. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

Don't get me wrong BYH. I don't hate you.

Draft saved Draft deleted