1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Buck Belue has Bell's Palsy

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by novelist_wannabe, Jan 12, 2009.

1. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Former UGA QB, broadcaster off the air for now

http://www.ajc.com/blogs/content/shared-blogs/accessatlanta/radiotalk/entries/2009/01/12/112_680the_fans.html

2. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Damn. That sucks.

3. Madhavok

Madhavok Well-Known Member

Worst three months of my life. Well, maybe not, but it sucked.
    Hopefully everything returns normally for him.

4. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Oh. I thought this was a new tongue-twister.
    Carry on.

5. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

I had Bell's Palsy about five years and I cannot think of a more harmless condition that seems scarier before diagnosis. When your face stops moving and your mind wanders to stroke, Parkinson's, MS and all other degenerative diseases....that was a terrifying 48-72 hours. The worst part, post-diagnosis, was having to tape my eye shut at night and then watering it like a freaking houseplant during the day.

6. Madhavok

Madhavok Well-Known Member

I hear ya Pope. Taping the eye shut, no contacts for what seemed forever and still doing your job. For me it was designing the whole sports section, photos and the whole enchilada. It made it VERY difficult. I think my incident was work related due to what seemed tons of stress stemming from my boss. I should have taken those months off and stuck it to the paper.

7. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

Ugh. My brother is just starting to recover from this. (Thanks again for the consultation, DocTalk!) And for someone who makes his living as a broadcaster, you can probably double the suckitude ...

8. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Gosh, I got Bells Palsy when I was in university. I remember trying to sip a soda through a straw and drooling all over myself.

Fortunately, they caught it early, put me on some strong drugs and I recovered. Never could wear contact lenses after that, though.

I actually remember Buck Belue from his playing days... hitting Lindsay Scott on a 90-yarder to beat Florida in the Gator Bowl and handing off to Herschel Walker en route to the national championship.

9. joe king

joe king Active Member

I remember him well. One of the worst QBs ever to win a national championship. He was somethnig like 1-for-10 or 1-for-11 in the bowl game.

That said, I wish him the best and hope he recovers quickly.

10. Walter_Sobchak

Walter_Sobchak Active Member

WWE announcer Jim Ross suffers/has suffered from Bell's Palsy, I believe.

11. king cranium maximus IV

king cranium maximus IV Active Member

[​IMG]

That's Buck there on the left. We all wish we could look that awesome.

12. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Curtis Strange got it about 10 years ago, and was back on ABC within a few weeks. Hopefully, that will be the case for Buck, who did a Hall of Fame job handing off to Herschel.

Draft saved Draft deleted