1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bubby Brister is back with the Week 6 NFL thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Oct 7, 2014.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Haley and LeBeau could both be gone after this season, but I think Haley is more deserving of being shown the door. He has a lot more talent to work with on offense than LeBeau does with that defense.

Failing to lock up Keenan Lewis a year ahead of free agency looks like it will haunt this team for a long time. He is an outstanding cover corner. Signing Cortez Allen long term looks like a panic move designed to make up for that mistake and he has been a disaster.

Mike Mitchell also looks like a bad signing, though he has been a little better the last couple of games, so maybe he just needed time to adjust.

Polamalu is done. He no longer makes big plays. He is only occasionally a force against the run. Given that, it is no longer worth putting up with the big plays the defense allows due to his freelancing. Throw in the losses of two starting linebackers and the fact that they still haven't found a competent nose tackle and it is fairly clear that the talent on defense isn't good enough. LeBeau just can't cover for the holes in the defense any more. There is only so much adjusting he can do when he doesn't have the talent to work with, but I can certainly understand the sentiment that it is time for him to go.

Haley does not have the same problem. The offense seems to be less than the sum of its parts, which means a significant chunk of the blame has to go on the offensive coordinator. Sure, Wheaton killed them Sunday, but he had been a decent compliment to Brown at wide receiver before that. Bell has been outstanding at running back and Blount is a very productive compliment. The line isn't great, but most games it has been at least decent. Roethlisberger is still a top 10 quarterback. They should be better.

I can't help but agree with Ward and Cowher. This team does seem to play soft. Not everybody, but certainly too many of the players. Lack of talent is a big reason for that on defense, but that offense is built to be physical with the line and the running backs. They just aren't playing that way.

2. Yeah, WTH happened to Wheaton?
    And what's going with Moore and Howard-Bey? They have been non-factors so far this season. Still learning the system?
    They can't be worse than Justin Brown.

3. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

"The store security officers recovered from Randle a two-pack of black Polo underwear valued at $39.50 and an almost full "tester" bottle of Gucci Guilty Black cologne valued at $84."

A two-pack of Polo underwear for $39.50.

Ye Gods.

4. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Perfect.

5. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Heyward-Bey sucks. He gives them a fast guy on special teams. That's it.

Moore has been a huge disappointment. According to everything I've heard and read, Justin Brown keeps beating him out.

Wheaton is the biggest issue right now. That offense looked dangerous with him making plays early on, but he has been terrible the last couple of weeks. He looks completely lost.

6. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Since I have family interest in the Bengals I left my house to go to my brother's to watch the overtime because I was sure they'd stop showing it at 3:25 (central). Watched the OT, walked back home and found out I could have watched it all at home.

Draft saved Draft deleted