1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bubbler and BYH weep: Casey Kasem's last countdown is this weekend

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by 2muchcoffeeman, Jul 3, 2009.

1. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I remember cracking up laughing in 1997 when I heard Meredith Brooks' song on Casey's Top 40.

After the song ends, Kasem says ... "And that was ... Bitch ... by Meredith Brooks."

Just hearing him say the word, 'Bitch' in his distinctive voice without even missing a beat was funny as hell.

2. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

I grew up listening to Casey Kasem in the mid 1970s. We worked the swap meet circuit, and I tuned in every Sunday.
    I was introduced to a lot of new performers through his show.
    "You Light Up My Life" was No. 1 for about a year, I think.
    I didn't realize Casey was still doing a show. I thought Seacrest took over.

3. BYH

BYH Active Member

Seacrest did take over the actual AT40, but Casey was still doing an adult contemporary countdown. Or still is doing it, through this weekend.

4. Double J

Double J Active Member

It was after Shadoe Stevens took over, but I remember that the title of "Me So Horny" was never mentioned on AT40 during its chart run in 1989.

I didn't start listening until late in 1987, but apparently Casey gave "I Want Your Sex" the same treatment earlier that year.

I do vividly remember that he made his feelings known about Guns 'n Roses by introducing "Sweet Child O' Mine," in either its first or second week on the countdown, as "their idea of a ballad," hahaha.

5. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Nice profile on CK in the Times.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/08/arts/music/08kasem.html?_r=1

But back in the day — before the Internet, even before “Entertainment Tonight” — there were better reasons to listen to Casey Kasem. For one thing: as bizarre as it now seems, millions of people didn’t know what the No. 1 song was each week until they heard that drumroll on “American Top 40.” It was appointment listening, as much of a weekly communal experience as “All in the Family” or “M*A*S*H.”

I love the phrase "appointment listening/viewing". Seems like such a prehistoric concept now.

6. Chef

Chef Active Member

Doesn't Casey have a smoking hot daughter?

7. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

And Rick Dees keeps on rolling ...

8. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  9. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    Zoinks!

10. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

My apologies to the SJ neighborhood for totally missing this thread and posting a new topic.

11. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Whooooa!

"And the hits just keep on comin' ..."

12. Bad Guy Zero

Bad Guy Zero Active Member

[​IMG]

Draft saved Draft deleted