1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

BS or not: Amateur golfer cards fives in a week (updated) ...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Nov 7, 2008.

1. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

Re: BS or not: Amateur golfer cards 5 - count em 5! - aces in a week!

i was about three inches from an ace on a par 3 several years ago. the box was located about 135 from the pin and was elevated. wasn't a tough hole, and i go lucky ... but not lucky enough.

2. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

As I wrote in another thread, I just saw my boy (7) get an ace yesterday on a 75 yd hold on his first day on any course where he could reach a hole. So its total luck. 5? really hard to believe.

3. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

My buddy is a head pro at a nearby club; he used to work at El Paso CC.
    It wouldn't shock me if the kid did it for the booze because from the stories he's told me, they love to drink more than they love to golf.
    I gave him a call, told him about the story ... i'll let y'all know how it turns out.

4. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i would have been more interested in this post if the person you were writing about was a she.

5. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

I've never gotten a hole-in-one. I witnessed my brother's only ace and my father's only ace.

My grandfather, who plays way too much, has three in his lifetime.

6. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

This story is slightly more believable than Jacqueline Gagne's mental-illness-fueled tall tale that Kindred ripped to beautiful shreds.

But I still don't believe it.

7. Re: BS or not: Amateur golfer cards 5 - count em 5! - aces in a week!

Update:
    May 9: Peoria columnist pens an update on Curt Hocker.

http://www.pjstar.com/sports/x1194164749/Stewart-Local-linkster-aced-out

Kid repeatedly tells everyone he'll take a lie detector test to prove his claims ... then backs out when our man Dave Kidred shows up.
    Hocker balks, but stands by his claims.
    Oh BTW; Kindred discovers that no one - not one of this guy's playing partners actually saw the ball go in.

8. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

From the article:

Ask any decent detective. As soon as the suspect invokes God, you know they're lying.

9. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Maybe his God is Judge Smails.

10. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

I've been playiing close to 40 years and have zero. I've hit the pin a couple of times and came within six inches once or twice. And I've my handicap down to 10 a couple of times.

11. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

If this story is indeed true -- a very big if -- then that kid is the dumbest ass on the planet because if he is that fucking lucky and on that much of a hot streak -- he should have been playing the powerball/lottery/Cash 5 -- whatever game you prefer -- for lots of money every single day.....

12. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Thanks, I feel better now. I've played over 34 years and have come oh so close but no cigar. I also got my index to 8 last year. (As I said earlier my 7 yr old got one a couple of months ago.) Good luck to you, hope you get one soon.

Draft saved Draft deleted