1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

BS or not: Amateur golfer cards fives in a week (updated) ...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Nov 7, 2008.

1. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Re: BS or not: Amateur golfer cards 5 - count em 5! - aces in a week!

Nationwide Tour doesn't count.

2. CentralIllinoisan

CentralIllinoisan Active Member

http://www.pjstar.com/sports/x1720642050/The-wonder-of-it-all

Here is our story on it, written as a column, so there is some opinion inserted. Our guy talked to about half of the 30 or so witnesses that have seen the multiple aces. Also, a link to a video is below the photos.

I covered the kid in high school, and he was a decent golfer, so I know he can swing the wrenches. He's sort of a golf bum; lives near the course, for which he also works.

I'm skeptical, of course, but this would have to be an elaborate hoax.

3. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I shot an 18-under once.

I tell you, I had Super Mario just on freeking fire.

4. DirtyDeeds

DirtyDeeds Guest

5. Re: BS or not: Amateur golfer cards 5 - count em 5! - aces in a week!

Not really.
    Of the supposed 30 or so witnesses, how many actually viewed multiple holes-in-one?
    I read the column where it said a some of the shots were blind. How hard would it be to a put a marked ball on the cup ahead of time?
    If the same guys are witnessing the shots - I'd say it's an effort to secure free drinks from the club. Especially if all the guys are 25 or younger; i.e. guys who would do such things in the pursuit of free drinks.

Read Dave Kindred's investigation of the chick who claimed 17 holes-in-one in a year. It was outstanding. With a little digging he pretty much exposed her as a fraud.

6. Re: BS or not: Amateur golfer cards 5 - count em 5! - aces in a week!

The odds of this happening are imposible.

7. Clerk Typist

Clerk Typist Guest

This is like getting hit by lightning with a winning PowerBall ticket in your pocket while walking to the Ralph Nader victory celebration.

8. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

someone suggested that he tried and tried on the same hole until he made one.

if that was the case, it's not a true hole-in-one and shouldn't be counted. But even then, to do that all in one week. Shit.

I've had one in 26 years of playing. Never have come close again.

9. Notepad

Notepad Member

And a first ballot "leave a comment" Hall of Famer appeared at the end of this column.
    Anyone else catch the commenter who calls the hole-in-one guy a fraud, says he will beat him head-up and leaves his phone number?
    Solid.

10. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I'm 0-for-20 years in aces. I'd actually hate to have some kind of fluke ace binge like two in a week or whatever (I'm not even acknowledging five in a week, that's complete b.s.), my friends/family would never believe it. And once you get into silliness like "one witness was a guy in the shop, another was the cart girl," etc., you're just lying. Give it up.

11. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Mission accomplished.

12. joe_schmoe

joe_schmoe Active Member

I've never been close to one either in about 17 years of playing. Closest I ever got was a fluke in itself. Was on the courses's shortest hole. I don't remember the distance but I've never seen a shorter hole and I've played a few par3 courses. It's advantage is that it's down in a valley and has a lake to the left of the fairway and behind the green, it slants slightly and it picks up the most wind.
    This day the grass was cut pretty thin the pin was in the front if the green so I just decided to just see how much i could get a putt to go.
    The ball died about 2 inches in front of the hole.

Draft saved Draft deleted