1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bryce Harper: Baseball's LeBron?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Trey Beamon, Jun 3, 2009.

1. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Bills receiver, got in trouble for pulling a gun on his dad or some such crime.

2. melock

melock Well-Known Member

Didn't SI do a big story on Drew Henson when he was a senior in HS? I don't think he was on the cover though.

3. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Am I the only one who thinks of the 3rd down back for the Jets in the Freeman McNeil era?

4. melock

melock Well-Known Member

I believe that was Bruce Harper.

5. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

I know, but each time my eye catches it, that's what I think.

6. melock

melock Well-Known Member

Gotcha. Actually interviewed Bruce once at a charity golf outing a few years back. Seemed like a nice guy.

7. Orange Hat Bobcat

Orange Hat Bobcat Active Member

[quote author=spnited]
    Bryce Harper: Baseball's Todd Marinovich
    [/quote]

This is a possibility, Spnited, and I will give you the benefit of the doubt because you've been working longer than I've been alive. But do consider this letter from Robb Zurek from Pittsburgh, published in the July issue of Esquire, which arrived in my mail slot the same day as young Bryce Harper.

There are far too many sports prodigies now. I hope Harper matches the hype, but as another poster said earlier, the success rate is normally somewhere around 50 percent. The kid has talent but he is only 16. He could be one of the best ever. He could burn out and light up. Too early to tell.

On a particularly unrelated note, I Digress, you would have placed Chamique Holdsclaw on the cover? Really? Perhaps if Gary Smith or Scott Price had written a bonus feature for the back of the book, I would agree with you, but not for a four-page layout with a WNBA season preview sidebar (that did not even manage to predict who might win the championship at the end of the summer). I have covered women's sports, I appreciate women's sports, but I also know that women's sports do not sell many national magazines.

(A difficult week to find a suitable cover subject. The Orlando Magic or the Los Angeles Lakers would make sense, but either of them might be on the cover for the next two or three weeks. The only cover subjects who could hold interest every week for a month would be Muhammad Ali or Michael Jordan.

Life after college football for the Oregon linemen was the most interesting story in the book, but not even the photo of them holding up their fat jeans was even remotely interesting. What would you have done for a cover there?

The Detroit Red Wings will sell regionally, which is why they were on a regional cover, but not nationally. Bryce Harper is interesting, but I do not want to see many 16-year-olds on the cover. As for Holdsclaw, I've had my say. Tough week.)

8. I Digress

I Digress Guest

I stand by my assertion that either the linemen story or Holdsclaw were better covers than Harper. The linemen story needed to be expanded, to be a cover. How about a big tub of liposuctioned goop on the front? How about a picture of a lineman who didn't lose the weight, is less than 30 and whose legs looks like they're holding in cottage cheese.
    There is all kinds of artistic things you could have done for Holdsclaw in terms of the depression thing that I think would have absolutely been sellable. There are A LOT of people struggling with depression in this country.
    Personally, a picture of a 16-year-old kid, a hackneyed head and the variation of a story we've seen too many times is no more interesting.

9. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

Last prep player I recall on an SI cover was Brian Brohn some six/seven years ago. Not a prep phenom story, though - more a story about teens and sports.

One thing I will say about Harper is this: if he were in the Dominican Republic, he'd be signed already. If he (key word here is he) thinks he's ready to play JUCO ball, then he should take those steps. As long as he's willing to accept the risks.

10. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Nothing new here, please move along. (Circa 1974)

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  11. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Noticed this gem from the story"

"Before he hits, Harper lays his bat down in the batter's box, takes two steps toward the pitcher, bends over, scoops up dirt in his bare hands (batting gloves? Hah!), rubs it between his palms and then returns to grab his bat and take his place in the box."

He's going to get buzzed in the ear a few times if he brings that cheesy shit to the Show.

12. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

I don't about this ... kind of sets a bad precedent.

Per MLBTradeRumors.com:

Harper has enrolled at the College of Southern Nevada, and plans to attend classes this August. He will also get his GED this fall. Because CSN is a two-year institution, the move allows Harper to be eligible for the 2010 draft rather than waiting for 2011, when he would graduate high school.

http://www.lvrj.com/sports/48018907.html

Congrats, Moddy. At least your team picked the right years to suck. :D

Draft saved Draft deleted