1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bryce Harper: Baseball's LeBron?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Trey Beamon, Jun 3, 2009.

1. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

If you follow prospects, you've probably heard of Bryce Harper, the prep catcher/fucking stud from Las Vegas.

Now this kid, a high school sophomore, is on the cover of SI.

http://vault.sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1156215/1/index.htm

Apparently, his parents are thinking of having him get his GED this summer and enrolling him in a junior college in the fall so that he would be eligible for the 2010 draft.

Is that a smart move? And what are your thoughts on the never-ending quest to discover the next big thing? We already have a LeBron ... do we need one for every single sport?

Harper seems to have a good head on his shoulders and a world of potential, but that's a lot for anyone -- let alone a 16-year-old -- to live up to.

2. I Digress

I Digress Guest

I just got mine out of the mailbox, but I wasn't too thrilled to see a 16-year-old on the cover. Without having read it yet, I'll say in general that I understand the rush to become a professional and cash in on the big money, but I can't imagine exposing a kid that age to the minor-league baseball life style.

3. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Baseball's difference. The skills required to be a baseball player are pretty esoteric and don't really mature until the early 20s, at best. So all you can do with a 16-year-old kid is project and hope, but there's going to be a lot of variability.

With basketball, it's pretty basic size and athleticism, so it's much easier to project a 16-year-old.

But I don't blame the kids' parents. Every year you wait for the payday is a year things can go wrong.

4. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

But I thought only ESPN the Magazine could tell us "Who's Next?"

And I'm sorry, they need to retire "Chosen One" as a headline. LeBron owns that now.

But I guess they're depending on the short attention span of readers. Just like every few years, they'll put some baseball player on the cover as "The Natural." First it was Ken Griffey Jr., then Jeff Francoeur, then Jay Bruce, then Josh Hamilton.

Show some originality, please.

5. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Whether the cover etc. has been done before, I think from Trey's description that this sounds like an interesting story, one that might get people thinking and as a result buying a copy at the news stand.

6. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Midwesterners got the Red Wings on the cover.

7. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I thought they mistakenly sent me SI for Kids.

8. BYH

BYH Active Member

Bryce Harper's timeline:

2009: On the cover of SI as a 16-year-old
    2010: Gets GED, is drafted no. 1 overall by the Pirates, who manage to resist the urge to draft 27-year-old Bumfucker Community College ace Dick Hertz
    2011: Hits 37 bombs in Single-A ball as an 18-year-old
    2012: Gets into car accident, hurts back, beings spending time in tattoo parlors
    2013: Gets addicted to heroin, severs ties with overprotective parents
    2014-16: Suspended by MLB for drug use
    2017: Comes back with Pirates, hits .237 at rookie ball, gets picked by the Nationals in Rule 5 draft
    2018: Hits .300 with 17 homers in just 350 ABs for the Nats
    2019: Traded to Rangers for Dick Hertz, Moddy goes on six-state killing spree
    2019: Hits .427 with 47 homers and 210 RBI for Rangers, Joe Mauer retires out of awe, Spnited calls it a "soft Triple Crown"
    2020: Verducci pens glowing piece on Harper's recovery
    2021: Harper busted for blood doping, Verducci writes piece tsk-tsking Harper without once mentioning how he, too, was fooled

9. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

Why does SI do this to kids? They have to know that it's a crapshoot as to whether these guys will ever fulfill the hype. They did the same thing with Clint Hurdle years ago when he was supposed to be the next big thing. Same with Felipe Lopez in basketball. They just set these guys up to look like huge busts if they don't turn out to be the next LeBron. Do a story on him, fine. Don't put him on the cover.

10. Boom_70

Dam - You brought your A game today BYH. That mad me laugh - a lot.

Verducci lining up his future book deals earlier and earlier.

11. Boom_70

They should be realistic and use a caption something like:

"The Next David Clyde" or "The Next Brien Taylor"

12. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Earl Cunningham and Al Chambers wonder what they've got to do to get some love.

Draft saved Draft deleted