1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bryant Gumbel calls David Stern a "plantation overseer"

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Care Bear, Oct 19, 2011.

1. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Who is Bryant Gumbel and why would anyone care what his opinion is on the NBA labor situation? Or any situation? He's nothing but the former NBC house-negro who is now a strutting, preening capon.

2. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

I'd like to see these players try to operate the league themselves, without any owners' or commissioner's "overseeing". The Association would be in shambles in no time ... real shambles.

The players need to take their salaries and all the excess benefits, invest wisely, and plan for the future when the games are all done for each of them.

This is a business, with bottom lines and business owners and places of business.
    The players need to recognize this.

3. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

every time I think of Bryant Gumbel I think of how he got his leopard print g-string in a knot over Letterman doing this.

4. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Where would we all be without the wise and brilliant billionaires to guide us?

We could be a great people; we wish to be. We only lack the light to lead the way.

5. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

I love how people who are defending Gumbel on this one are using "nuance" as an excuse -- as if those who are offended aren't smart enough to figure out the true meaning of Gumbel's comparison.

That is complete and utter bullshit.

Gumbel put "slavery" and "Stern" in the same sentence for the same reason Hank Williams Jr put "Hitler" and "Obama" in the same sentence. Both men wanted to speak harshly. It wasn't about nuance; they knew exactly what they were saying. For them to claim otherwise (or anyone to do it on their behalf) is merely backtracking.

How long do you think Gumbel works on the scripts for that HBO show? He takes great pride in the journalism there and has done a marvelous job over the years with it. He knew exactly what he was doing.

In this day and age, if you compare a white man to a slave owner or anyone to Hitler, you know what the reaction is going to be.

6. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

I also laugh at the thought of the players trying to market their product without any help from owners or the commish.
    The league would be transformed into a nightly freak show, with players running up and down the floor, traveling, palming and dunking routinely, while some fat-headed 'host' chases them around, screaming about their every with his Sucker Emcee microphone

7. Care Bear

Care Bear Guest

Excellent take.

8. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Oh, you must mean the And1 traveling circus.

9. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Well let's see. Is he preventing anyone from going to a plantation in Europe and playing for a few mil there.

10. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Here's the problem.

He doesn't put 'slavery' and 'Stern' in the same sentence. Read the pivotal sentence again. If you're going to credit Gumbel with knowing exactly what he's writing, how about we read exactly what he wrote?

Editorially, of course his intention is to stir things up. As is the case from time to time with every columnist anywhere.

11. Key

Key Well-Known Member

Az, I'm not sure where you're going. Are we to infer Gumbel was not talking about slavery? If that's not the correct take, then what is? Please, tell us. What should we have inferred from images of slavery and "Stern" in the same sentence. I'm confused.

12. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

You've expressed what I've thought for a while about the term "nuanced". It's a way to justify unpopular or controversial opinion by framing it as a debate about intellect or deeper comprehension and not that you think Subway should introduce a Dead Baby Five Dollar Foot Long or whatever whackadoo thing you're espousing.

Draft saved Draft deleted