1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Brussels explosions, at least 13 dead

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by franticscribe, Mar 22, 2016.

1. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

2. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I didn't know Obama was running again.

3. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

The only thing Obama did wrong his entire Presidency was to play golf moments after he spoke about "Jim" getting beheaded by ISIS.

That was unacceptable.

In all other instances, he's shown almost perfect judgment.

4. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

The whole thing is apples to oranges.

The Bush thing was an attack on our country, on a massive scale.

Sorry 6-year-olds, you'll eventually understand.

5. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Take off the ist off terrorist and it really rolls off the tongue.

6. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

Damn, you're right. I was trying not to be a slave to syllables for a change.

7. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I agree with you. I think it would have been appropriate for him to skip it.

That said, I also understand he had to weigh the importance of his diplomatic mission to Cuba and our national interests with a country 90 miles from our shores. Obviously, there is great importance to a U.S. President's first visit to Cuba in 90 years and he has to be sensitive to that as well.

EDIT: I just saw your second post, which was much more nuanced and thoughtful and I agree with you even more fully. I'm certainly not suggesting posters stop their lives or even shed a tear over the attacks. I hold most of the board in high regard, even those with whom I frequently disagree, and I was surprised at the reaction here. I thought there would be more compassion, more of a sense of brotherhood with the citizens of Belgium, who are facing the same enemy we are.

Dark humor is fine, and I'm certainly prone to use it, but that's not what I got from those posts. They took on a more mocking tone.

Mr. Sunshine likes this.
  8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

At some point, you wonder how are able to keep recruiting suicide-bombers. These guys have to know by now that they aren't accomplishing much. It isn't like one more bombing is suddenly going to make the rest of the world "understand" ISIS. It isn't like ISIS has demands that if fulfilled will get them to stop bombing people.
    It's like American Idol - you make a big deal of the first one, the 17th? Knowing there will be an 18th? Not so much.
    Is anybody really more scared of ISIS after Belgium?

9. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

You do understand why they blow themselves up, right? You might not think it's accomplishing much. They believe martyrdom puts them in paradise--virgins, etc.

JC and HanSenSE like this.
  10. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

It's always good to get tips from the Castros on how to deal with people who oppose you.

11. JohnHammond

JohnHammond Well-Known Member

ISIS recruits are the same type of losers who tote assault rifles at the grocery store in the U.S.

12. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

They don't want to be understood. They simply don't place any value on earthly human life, their own or anyone else's.

WriteThinking likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted