1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Brunch near EWR

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by danhawks, Apr 14, 2007.

1. danhawks

danhawks Member

Hey folks, looking for a good, easy-to-find brunch spot near Newark Airport. I'll be getting a flight (hopefully, if we don't all get submerged here) on Sunday mid-afternoon, so I want to be able to get to the airport pretty fast afterward. Hope you have some suggestions, because I don't have clue.
    Thanks,
    Dan

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

3. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

My recollecton is there's no way to get anywhere fast from EWR that doesn't involve an airplane. I've never seen such a spaghetti-mess of highways leading to nowhere (or, worse, to downtown Newark).

Once had an early morning flight from there and thought I'd stay at a hotel "close to the airport." On the map, the Courtyard basically shows as "right across the street." It took 20 minutes to get there.

If it was me, I'd be finding a place to eat that brunch that is past security.

4. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

You ought to be able to find something in Summit, about 20 minutes east of the airport, or Morristown, about 20-25 minutes northwest. Morristown probably will have something easier to find at the "green," as they call it, and all roads lead there. But it's been a couple of years since I've been to either, so I can't recommend anything specific. You won't find anything decent in the immediate proximity of EWR; food selection is terrible.

5. Monday Morning Sportswriter

Monday Morning Sportswriter Well-Known Member

A classic brunch of just a place for lunch?

Because I've had plenty of fine meals at Steak 2, the Shula's bar at the Wyndham, which is a par 3 from the gates.

6. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Are you going to have to deal with returning a rental car or are you just going to get dropped at the terminal by a cab/shuttle bus?

As FileNotFound stated the roads around the airport are a major headache to deal with and navigate... this will factor into how much time you need to allow yourself.

7. here's a map of the immediate area. it's actually pretty easy to get into Newark from Rte. 1-9 or I-78

maybe one of the hotels would have a decent brunch? Sheraton is usually somewhat passable

[​IMG]

8. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Is that map what comes up if you search for "clusterfuck" in Google? ;)

9. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Wow. Glad I don't have to navigate something like that on a daily basis.

10. Jack_Kerouac

Jack_Kerouac Member

Someone at Marriott must know someone really important on the building commission if they can get a SpringHill Suites put up right on a runway. Now that's handy to catch a flight.

11. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Don't forget to buckle up.

12. Monday Morning Sportswriter

Monday Morning Sportswriter Well-Known Member

Seriously, I'll repeat, the Steak 2 at the Wyndham. It's on 1-9, right across from that Fairfield Inn. I've gone there when I didn't need to be at the airport. And they serve meals all day, in case you're there in the morning or whatever.

Draft saved Draft deleted