1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bruins' Tim Thomas skips White House visit because he disagrees with Obama

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by NickMordo, Jan 23, 2012.

1. RecoveringDesker

RecoveringDesker Active Member

Tim Thomas' own statement (below) mentioned nothing at all about the president, so I believe the thread title is at best a little misleading.

"I believe the Federal government has grown out of control, threatening the Rights, Liberties, and Property of the People. This is being done at the Executive, Legislative, and Judicial level. This is in direct opposition to the Constitution and the Founding Fathers vision for the Federal government. Because I believe this, today I exercised my right as a Free Citizen, and did not visit the White House. This was not about politics or party, as in my opinion both parties are responsible for the situation we are in as a country. This was about a choice I had to make as an INDIVIDUAL. This is the only public statement I will be making on this topic. TT"

2. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

One guy stands up the POTUS; another kills a campaign worker's pet. Same symptoms of the cancer that is irrational partisanship.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/01/23/us-dead-cat-arkansas-idUSTRE80M26Z20120123

3. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Nice capitalization. Does he think he's Federalist Farmer?

4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

There are many valid reasons to kill a cat, but political disagreement isn't one of them.

5. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Great story. Back in the day, when there was civility, although I did not vote for President Bush (41) in either '88 or '92, I respected the man, for his service and because he was the POTUS. Given the choices put forth today, I'd respect him much more than what is offered today. Nevertheless, if Mr. Gingrich, Mr. Romney, Mr. Santorum, or Mr. Paul were elected, per the Constitution, I'd respect them as POTUS and act accordingly.

This is like quitting your HS team because you think the coach is a d*ck. Sure you made a statement, but 20 years from now, you'll be regretting the decision as everyone has memories of playing for the league championship/at the White House and you were um... watching a movie at the cineplex.

YankeeFan likes this.
  6. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Did I miss the part where it said this was politically motivated?

7. derwood

derwood Active Member

This guy sounds like militia member.

8. Magic In The Night

Magic In The Night Active Member

That just makes Thomas look like an ass for not going. If he's so patriotic, he should respect the office of the president and go. What ever happened to just being civil even if you don't agree with every single thing the person does. Unreal. As for the cat, I don't even like cats and that is a terrible thing to do. Those children are going to be scarred from that for a long time.

YankeeFan likes this.
  9. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Thomas is a gutless puke.

10. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

That's true. The cat's name could be Liberal.

11. JR

JR Well-Known Member

It would have been more appropriate if Tiny Tim cut all those words out of magazines and pasted 'em up.

12. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Because he's chickenshit. If you want to make a statement, make a statement.

The issued statement is disingenuous paranoid bullshit cribbed directly from Beck, indicating his room-temperature IQ.

Just another 1%er who wants to keep all of what he's got and make sure nobody else gets their mooching hands on it. He's dead right he has the absolute right to make the statement, he's just too chicken to actually make it, instead parroting shit from an imbecile lunatic on teevee (well actually he's not on teevee any more).

I presume also as a principled crusader against the evvvull horrible federal government he will refuse to drive on tax-financed freeways, accept payment for playing in tax-financed arenas, eat food inspected by tax-financed inspectors, fly in airplanes directed by tax-financed air control systems. Because the sainted Founding Fathers were too busy whipping their slaves (some of them anyway) to ever envision any of that stuff either.

Draft saved Draft deleted