1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bruins' Tim Thomas skips White House visit because he disagrees with Obama

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by NickMordo, Jan 23, 2012.

1. NickMordo

NickMordo Active Member

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/bruins-mvp-tim-thomas-skips-white-house-event-203636656.html

I don't ever recall a sport's MVP in the championship skipping a White House visit because he disagrees with the president's politics. Is it free speech or disrespect? Wage your thoughts...

2. HC

HC Well-Known Member

To me, you attend out of respect for the office even if you don't agree with the person currently holding that office.

On a side note, my huge crush on Tim Thomas has suffered near catastrophic destruction. BECK??? :-\

3. NickMordo

NickMordo Active Member

I would agree with that sentiment. Plus, it may be a once-in-a-lifetime experience. Enjoy it and don't let politics ruin you or your team's success in which you are being rewarded.

4. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

I used to think Sean Avery was the biggest teabagger in the NHL.
    But seriously, this is a non-story. No matter who the president or the team is, there's always one guy making a statement by not showing up. It's been going on ever since the entire U.S. Ryder Cup team voted to stand up Clinton before Tom Watson, a staunch conservative himself, pulled rank as captain.

5. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

This exact topic really got under my skin this weekend, when I heard Newt Gingrich -- who was constantly referred in an interview as "Mr. Speaker" -- say in that same interview "Obama" this and "Obama" that.

I don't think I recall a Democratic candidate for President -- particularly one with a political honorific like Senator or the like -- call President Bush "Bush" on each and every reference. Hmmm, I wonder what the big difference is between the two?

6. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Apparently the person who Tim Thomas would most like to have dinner with is Glenn Beck. Sigh.

Someone tweeted that Thomas is a a pair of sunglasses and hoodie away from unabomber status.

New hashtag just up #unagoalie.

7. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

To me, a non-story. So he didn't go ... who cares? Like most stories in this 24-hour news cycle, it'll be forgotten in a week.

8. Gehrig

Gehrig Active Member

He should have been with his teammates. It's a team function, bite your tongue and just attend.

9. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I would probably go, regardless, because I think that Republicans are mostly good guys who I happen to disagree with on some issues. But I guess you only get so many chances in life to make a stand that you really believe in, so good for him. If I recall, Dan Hampton skipped the '85 Bears reunion recently at the White House, while staunch conservative Mike Ditka went. To each his own.

10. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

He should have gone through the receiving line, then whirled on his heels and left Obama grasping air and marched out the doors in front of all the cameras.

All it would take would be three or four jocks doing something like this to put the shit-hammer on these preposterous PR photo ops, pioneeered by the shifty crook Nixon and raised to an art form by the doddering nitwit Reagan, forever.

Obama should have deep-sixed this shit the day he took office. The President can and does have a hell of a lot of other and better things to do than wave pom-poms for celebrity jocks anyway.

Athletes not getting enough public recognition or adulation is not a major problem in our society.

11. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

Isn't Obama already getting ready for his annual bracket breakdown with ESPN?

12. Yodel

Yodel Active Member

Speaking of disrespect for the office.

Draft saved Draft deleted