1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bruce Pearl shows off his Rocky Top

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Oz, Jan 23, 2007.

1. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

Very true ... they are putting on the full-court press more lately, coincidentally translating into more wins. And less bitching from the fans.

Same thing happened last year. They didn't press until halfway through the season and everyone stopped bitching.

The key to the Milwaukeeans hearts is the press.

2. I dont think so..

Being from the area....Fulmer has fallen out of favor with a lot of fans. A 5-6 season followed up with a 9-4 season in which the team lost 3 of their last five. Fulmer has had no major success since 2001 - when they beat UF in Florida for their first win there since the 70s (and promptly choked the Rose Bowl away the next week in the SEC Championship to LSU).

Summitt will always crank out the wins....but its womens basketball. The typical crowd at a women's game there are: 1) a bunch of old folks, 2) a nice crowd of middle-age folks and 3) women with mullets.

Bruce Pearl has Knoxville captive. He wins - although currently they've fell on tough times (But Vandy and Auburn both have had other big wins since they scraped by UT in the final minute and Ohio State is very good) - he is intense and appreciative of the fans.

Folks never took to Buzz Peterson in Knoxville, despite his down-home, good-ole-boy personality of God-first, family-second, basketball-third. Jerry Green told the fans if they didnt like his product, they could go shop at K-Mart instead on the university sponsored call-in show (ie: homer show). Kevin O'Neil's profanity-laced sideline rants never fit in here and if not for his son Allan, Wade Houston may have went winless in his time at Tennessee.

Pearl has brought back the spirit of hoops from the Ray Mears era and they love it.

Renovations coming to the arena - helped pushed by the success spawned by Pearl. Peterson cried about this for four years, but could not get it done.

The Athletic Department just broke ground on a new practice facility for mens and womens basketball. One they've been trying to get done for years. Pearl came in and helped raise the funds in about 18 months...

3. Leo Mazzone

Leo Mazzone Member

The only acceptable reason to be caught in Due West.

4. Leo Mazzone

Leo Mazzone Member

And I'll be damned if Tennessee needs Pearl as an ambassador with this in the fold:

http://www.myspace.com/brittmarsh4u

5. KP

KP Active Member

More of Miss Marsh. NSFW
    http://www.fulmersbelly.com/?p=202

6. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

This is a huge and common misconception. Look at men’s basketball attendance and women’s basketball attendance at Tennessee.

Men have more at the games, and they have in the past, too. Lady Vols have more attention nationwide, but locally, more people care about the men’s teams, and it was really close even under Buzz.

And Pearl is much more popular than Fulmer right now. No one wants Pearl gone, and you definitely can’t say that for Fulmer, who is trying to steer his program back from mediocrity despite stellar recruiting class after stellar recruiting class.

7. Terd Ferguson

Terd Ferguson Member

In addition to being a media whore, Bruce Pearl is also a first-rate ass hole, as I understand it.

He may be charming as all fuck when the ESPN cameras are rolling, but I know several people (non media types) who have dealt with Pearl and found him to be an absolute douche of the "don't you know who I am? I'm Bruce Pearl, a very important basketball coach!" variety.

I've no use for people who treat "the help" like shit. Too bad the ESPN cameras haven't caught Bruce's "I'm kind of a big deal" moments.

It's entirely possible folks I know just caught him on a bad (string of) day(s). Maybe he had some stuff going on. I know I'm not a prince all the time, but I'm a firm believer it's how a person treats the "unimportant" people that truly defines him/her.

And to be clear, these were not media types stiffed for interviews or anything like that. Nor were they ass hole fans looking for an autograph. Just regular folks doing their jobs.

8. etsuwes

etsuwes Member

I've spoken with Bruce several occasions and he's been anything but an asshole. He's one of the best personality guys in the sport.

9. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

Lets just say that Pearl left quite an impression on some people back in Wisconsin. Last year, Luke Holman -- a former walk-on at UWM -- went missing and his body was recovered from the river. Pearl showed up to the funeral in a stretch limo.

10. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

This thread is now ruined by "The Godfather." Damn this pic scared the hell out of me!

[​IMG]

11. fmrsped

fmrsped Active Member

That broad has 2700 friends of facebook. Is she a stripper?

12. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Pearl shpuld have spent more time on the question of how to win without Chris Lofton. Body paint wasn't the answer.

Draft saved Draft deleted