1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bruce Gets Chicked

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Fenian_Bastard, Oct 30, 2007.

1. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

I'd applaud CC if they weren't playing Bruce because they were giving younger artists a chance, but that simply isn't the case. New music on a CC rock station is usually horseshit in the vein of Nickleback or Saliva or some other neometal guttertrash.

I wish the FCC would enforce its rules. It always insists the public owns the airwaves, if that is indeed the case, why are they allowing stations to continue to cue up "Stairway to Heaven" for the 10 millionth time?

2. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

We can thank Ronald Fucking Reagan for deregulating radio so the "miracle of the marketplace" could work its magic, and 99.6% of all radio stations in the United States are owned by two slapdick corporate zombie monopolies.

3. Bill Brasky

Bill Brasky Active Member

Whoa, whoa, whoa. Clear Channel is programming XM stations as the settlement in a lawsuit? Why? Because they fucked up radio so much that people are willing to pay for decent stations? What is the deal? It's two totally different delivery systems...it would be like NBC getting to program an HBO channel. That makes no sense....if you fuck up your ad sponsored system so bad that people are willing to pay to hear decent radio, you ought to get a dick in the ear, not a chance to program another station.

4. joe

joe Active Member

My new favorite phrase: "get a dick in the ear." Too funny.

5. Fixed.

[​IMG]

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Doesn't Bruce have a channel on Sirius? I'm guessing that's the major reason for this...

Terrestrial radio sucks...

7. markvid

markvid Guest

I am wrong on this and I should have looked it up first. My apologies.
    This is from Wikipedia:

KHMX (2001-2003)

As part of an investment deal with Clear Channel Communications, XM agreed to simulcast some of Clear Channel's FM radio stations until they were able to afford their own programming. MIX was one of those channels, simulcasting KHMX from Houston, Texas, titled Mix 96.5. Due to low subscription count at the time, the audience didn't concern themselves with the Houston locality of the station. XM's priority was getting the working signal into people's homes and vehicles. Eventually, Clear Channel began to slowly divest from XM, and the stocks diluted, so the Clear Channel FM simulcasts went away.

[edit] Mix (2003-)

On December 1, 2003, the KHMX simulcast was dropped and MIX developed its own identity. It retained the MIX name, but was now completely jockless. A month later, MIX, in addition to all XM music channels, went commercial free, making the station auto-piloted 24/7 by music. Right now, there are no plans to add DJs to the channel, despite it being one of the few on XM that is jockless.

In March 2006, according to a 10-k filing, XM Satellite Radio mentioned that Clear Channel programmed music on XM would begin carrying commercials, including MIX. This has been done to fulfill an arbitration settlement between XM and Clear Channel. In response to this, XM Canada, DirecTV and AOL Radio removed this channel on 4/17/06 in favor of XM's commercial free equivalent. MIX now displays a "cm" next to its name on the XM unit's pad data to indicate that it is a commercial radio station. This channel has also changed formats to Adult Hits.

For a short period of time, MIX did not display song information on the XM unit's pad. Originally, Clear Channel opted to have static pad data on all of its channels, but due to complaints they acquired the hardware to properly display individual track information on the units.

8. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

I can't begin to tell you the last time I listened to one of our "local" radio stations.

They've almost all gone with pre-recorded DJs slinging the same Gwen Stefani songs. And the country stations are even worse.

Amazingly, the only decent radio stations are two college outfits here, one that plays alt-rock and another that does a half-day of jazz followed by hip-hop and urban music. The reason I appreciate them? Variety.

Got into an argument with one of the assholes running a local CC station, and he said, "How would you feel if everyone started reading USA Today instead of reading your local newspaper?"

My reply: "My local newspaper gives people who want local content exactly that. I can put a 10-disc CD changer in the trunk of my car and get the same thing you give me."

9. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

This is why I listen to Radio Disney. It's your music, your way.

10. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

We need more radio stations edgy enough to do stuff like this.

Draft saved Draft deleted