1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bruce Feldman suspended (Update: Moves to CBS)

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by sctvman, Jul 14, 2011.

1. Re: Bruce Feldman suspended

I don't think so... I was reading this morning the ESPN brass signed off on Feldman's participation in the book. You figure if the bosses approve your partcipation, so long as he played it straight, it's hard to justify the suspension.

2. Re: Bruce Feldman suspended

i'm continually stunned by the Fatal Attraction-level of obsession so many sportswriters have for a 9-4 coach just because he's good copy and talks about pirates.

why? did you sit shiva for Frank Solich in a similar way? is there a cult of Jim Leavitt agonizing every time he doesn't get a new job? the level of emotion about it -- why is it so personal? do you think you might be the next guy (how many stories like this have there been? 12?) invited to hang out with him in Key West?

note to next fbc writer to come up with the idea to hang out with Leach in Key West: IT'S BEEN DONE.

the level of anguish and certainty reminds me of reactions to the Casey Anthony verdict.

just from what i've seen in coverage of it, the players on the team at that time -- the guys who actually had to live in it, and not just take sides from afar ...
    a) seem to have no problem with Adam James. Even when it would have been in their best interest to do so (when the asst who was loyal to Leach was dragging him through the dirt), they refused to bad-mouth him. they welcomes him back and said they had his back.
    b) they have indicated, in the quotes i've seen, that "Fat Little Girlfriends" Leach had been losing it/going off the rails pretty badly that last season or so. And the players said this sadly, like, "Coach Leach gave me everything, I love him, but ... wow."

we're supposed to believe this all comes down to saving $800K. Really. Really? Really. (One more time for Seth Myers.) Really? This is Texas football. Really? You think money is any object? You think anyone in Texas is going to get rid of the greatest (9-4) coach of all time over $800K? Really?

and everyone here bad-mouthing adam james. maybe he is a punk, i don't know. but if you were an entitled punk looking to live off your dad's name would you go to the middle of nowhere texas tech? I'd go to SMU and bird-dog those Dallas co-eds myself. James is terrible, you say -- well, when all this hit and that was first said i went and looked at his recruiting profile. someone gave him 3 stars, so if this is a conspiracy, it goes back a while. (plus, at Tech, that's about what you're going to get.) and, if AJ is so bad, why does Leach care at all? why spend 2 seconds on a kid like that? why recruit him in the first place?

well, he wanted Craig James around, hyping him up. Ah, well. Then that plan worked perfectly, didn't it.

And, Craig. Craig, Craig, Craig. Loved him at SMU, can not stand to hear him do games. which is another point. you think this guy is not replaceable, or that anyone would notice if he was replaced? why does everyone think espn is willing to risk it all for craig james. craig james? really? really?

no one can stand craig james. which is part of this, isn't it?

the book says Leach is an innocent genius. of course it does. the reporting I've read (by other top espn guys as well, and quotes from players on the ground) on the other hand, doesn't give me too good an opinion of his role on what went down. but then, i'm not in ga-ga love with mike leach.

Leach went 9-4. Tuberville will go 9-4. But he doesn't talk about pirates. So he stinks.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Re: Bruce Feldman suspended

I don't think money was the only object at Tech.

I don't think it was the primary reason Leach was fired.

Leach was fired because he got into, and won, a very public pissing match with his AD over his contract and his AD was looking for a reason to fire him as a result.

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I didn't say the suspension was justifiable -- just that if you help with a book that is critical of ESPN talent, there are going to be poodles yapping at your heels.

5. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Wasn't the book deal done before the whole Leach ESPN deal went down?

Feldman probably figured that he had the approval and did not want to open a can of worms by asking again for an approval he already received.

The thing is that Feldman voice is really in the background. It is written in Leach's words.

6. Boom_70

Tuberville offense is bland and boring.

7. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

As of last night, Bruce Feldman was out trending Harry Potter on Twitter thanks to scores of sportswriters tweeting about this.

Currently, Bruce Feldman and #FreeBruce are trending.

8. Illino

Illino Member

Craig James chimes in:

@craigjames32: Respected colleague & friend of Feldman since early 90's. Surprised! Saw this in news like y'all

9. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Is there anything more sad than a grown ass man using his jersey number in his email address or twitter handle?

Al Bundy would be embarrassed.

10. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

After his SMU years, hard-pressed to conceive of anything that would embarrass bubble boy.

11. Boom_70

ESPN getting hammered on #FreeBruce. I have been following. Seems like it is on a pace of 10 tweets every minute. Many big time writers ringing in. I wonder if Grantland will ring in.

Certainly helping book sales.

12. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

It was a hell of a backfield. Just incredible and very fun to watch.

Could give a fuck about his opinion on anything. I guess it's tough when you peak in life at age 22.

Draft saved Draft deleted