1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bruce Feldman suspended (Update: Moves to CBS)

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by sctvman, Jul 14, 2011.

1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Re: Bruce Feldman suspended

Some of you have been following this pretty closely obviously, so does this mean ESPN is all cool with everything Craig James did? Wow.

Also: If there's this much good stuff in the Leach book, it might be the first coach autobiography I ever read.

2. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Can Yahoo just hire Feldman? Fuck ESPN.

3. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

I assume he's under contract. And in most cases, "suspended indefinitely" is code for "we're waiting until our legal team gives us the go-ahead to fire you."

4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Maybe Bruce Feldman is Bucknutty. /crossthread

5. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

Bruce Feldman is a class act, a professional who works hard and has great contacts in CFB. ESPN gave him permission to work on the book with Leach.
    Craig James is a sleazy over-grown frat boy who is sadly mistaken because he thinks he's the smartest guy in the room (he's angling to run for the Texas Legislature). He's the kind of ex-jock the ESPN suits love to sniff.
    Mike Leach is a nut job who is an offensive idiot savant. He is also the kind of guy who if you wrong him, he is gonna go medieval on your ass. He's suing Texas Tech and ESPN. Until both are settled, he'll be toxic for any college jobs.
    James and Leach are a couple of a-holes who deserve each other. ESPN is a bunch of two-faced enablers who are only concerned about "talent" and "inventory." Bruce Feldman (apparently) did nothing wrong and got caught in the middle of that three-way shit storm.

6. spurtswriter

spurtswriter Member

Worst job: Sewage taster. Second: PR schlub for ESPN.

7. SportsGuyBCK

SportsGuyBCK Active Member

Sounds like everyone who works for ESPN in ANY capacity should be looking over their shoulders every time they get the OK for an outside project ...

8. Fran Curci

Fran Curci Well-Known Member

I don't know Feldman but I have to believe he did something outside of his agreement with ESPN.

9. 21

21 Well-Known Member

'Permission' at espn is a strange and nebulous concept, when you have countless divisions and so many khaki-clad asses to cover. One guy tells you okeedoke, four others say, 'well, you didn't ask US.'

And if Feldman did get permission while Leach was still employed by TT, seems he should have gotten MORE permission when the lawsuits started flying.

10. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

We are talking ESPN here, true paragons of journalistic integrity.

11. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

Nope Sock, James and Leach don't deserve each other. Leach would pull out his sword and chop James' head clean off. That's how pissed he is with James and Tech, for enabling James to get away with this charade.

Leach is kooky and eccentric, but don't forget, the sumbitch has a law degree and he knows how to use it. Don't let the offensive idiot savant role fool you. Guys like that are way smarter than we think or want to think.

He's expected to visit Iowa Wesleyan, one of his old coaching haunts, tomorrow or in a few days. I can't wait to read what he has to say in the local paper.

12. Clerk Typist

Clerk Typist Guest

Feldman: "Can I co-author a book with Leach?"
    ESPN: "Sure."
    ... book comes out ...
    ESPN: "What the hell is this?"
    Feldman: "The book you gave me permission to do."
    ESPN: "Wha ... how dare you do things with our permission! You're suspended!"
    ESPN=Alice through the Looking Glass

Draft saved Draft deleted