1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bruce Feldman suspended (Update: Moves to CBS)

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by sctvman, Jul 14, 2011.

1. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

But also consider taking that #! out of the URL. It's a long, uninteresting story:

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/story/15511066/week-1-picks-time-for-a-fresh-start-and-some-actual-football

2. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Poynter responds: http://espn.go.com/blog/poynterreview/post/_/id/122/responding-to-feldmans-allegations

Two of the more egregious quotes (bold is mine):

3. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Hmm, that Poynter column must not fall under this ...

RT @ESPNBook James Andrew Miller
    Those of you waiting for Bristol to strike back @bfeldmancbs can get comfortable. Word went out not to retaliate (especially on the record).

4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Highlighting the utter uselessness of Poynter might be the best thing Feldman did here.

5. if you want to go back and look (i've got like six posts), i'm definitely not a fan of mike leach.

But that doesn't carry over to Feldman in any way. i believe every word he says here. (just saying about my opinion of Leach, for full disclosure before someone points it out.)

though i am interested in one of the things Feldman says: he makes a point about the suspension that he was told not to tweet. he was not allowed to go on radio or television shows. "I wasn't allowed to do my job."

i'm not saying that's good or bad, i just thought it was an interesting point, in this day and age. he didn't say he wasn't allowed to report or write (he probably wasn't allowed to do that either, but that's not how he put it). he framed tweeting and doing radio and TV guest appearances as "his job."

and maybe for some guys these days it is. it just struck me as interesting, is all.

6. BrianGriffin

BrianGriffin Active Member

That's where we're all evolving.

Excuse me while I go plan a podcast...

7. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

8. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

The funniest, oddest, saddest thing about the entire Feldman deal is that if ESPN did nothing, they would have been much better off. By trying to "protect" the brand they ended up really giving themselves a black eye.

10. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Retaliate? I'm guessing the suits are more worried people will back him up.

11. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Absolutely. He didn't even get a mention on the cover of Leach's book. Bloggers might have connected the dots, but everyone would have moved along just fine.

12. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

ESPN made Mike Leach book a best seller. How ironic is that.

Draft saved Draft deleted