1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bruce/E Street Band reference sources

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by writing irish, May 22, 2008.

1. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

For reasons that don't need to be detailed here, I'm needing a crash course on the career of Bruce Springsteen- specifically, everything from "Asbury Park" to "The River."

The board has a wealth of Springsteen scholars, so I thought I'd ask- which of the myriad Springsteen books out there is the best one?

2. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Re: Bruce/E Street Band history

Dave Marsh's two books - Born To Run and Glory Days - are the best IMO.

3. spnited

spnited Active Member

Robert Santelli's "Greetings from E Street: The Story of Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band" has some good/fun stuff in it.

The Marsh books are exceptional.

For all the albums, all the songs, and a little history behind each try Bruce Springsteen: Songs.

4. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Years ago, there was a book out called Blinded By The Light which contained a history and a great discography and bootleg section.

I haven't seen the Marsh books in some time, but I know there was at least one update to Glory Days. I lost my paperback copy of Born To Run to a friend who has since moved out of town. Marsh was very close to the Boss - I believe his wife worked for Jon Landau - but those books, to me, are the best on Springsteen.

5. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Since you're looking specifically for the 1973-1980 era (Greetings through the River)
    Dave Marsh's book "Born to Run" would probably be the best read (it's a Bruce bio from his first band in high school, The Castiles, through the start of The River tour). In 2003 Marsh put out a book called 'Two Hearts', which combines Born to Run and Glory Days (which covered the second half of The River tour through the end of the Born in the USA tour). Two Hearts has an additional chapter (note singular) covering 1987-2003.

Two other books that would be a good read for that time period:
    - Robert Hillburn's book 'Springsteen' (which has some great photos)
    - Robert Santelli's 'Greetings from E Street' (which has some great momentos in it)

The Patrick Humphries/Chris Hunt book 'Blinded by the Light' is nice, but not as good as the others I've mentioned.

For a slightly biased view of Bruce's career from 1973-1976/77 there's Mike Appel's book "Down Thunder Road" .. Appel was Springsteen's first manager.

6. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

E Street,

I seem to recall a book called Backstreets. Not sure if it was put out by the magazine or not.

7. EStreetJoe

The Backstreets book - the hardcover and the updated paperback version - were both put out by the magazine, the last paperback version came out in 1992. They were collections of interviews, with great reference materials in the back of the book (detailed studio sessions listing outtakes, and a list of every show he's played including setlists for the majority of them). Yes, I still have both of them on my bookshelf, along with all of the other books I've mentioned (except for Two Hearts)

A site that surpasses the book in terms of the reference materials is:
    http://www.brucebase.org.uk/index.html
    (click on "On the Tracks" for extremely detailed studio info and "Brucebase" for the concert listings)

8. EStreetJoe

Marsh's wife - Barbara Carr - still works with Jon Landau managing Bruce.

9. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Absolutely indispensable. When I wanted to know how much I paid for a ticket for Bruce's show at the CNE Grandtand in 1984 ($19.75!) I found it on there with a scan of the ticket from the show.

10. Re: Bruce/E Street Band history

To echo everyone else: The Marsh books are excellent.

11. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Wish he'd go back to Rolling Stone or something. I don't have much interest in that Rock/Rap Confidential thing he puts out. He wrote the single most scathing record review I've ever seen for the Knack's second album ...But The Little Girls Understand.

12. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

The Marsh books can be somewhat Brown Bunnyish, but are excellent.

Draft saved Draft deleted