1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bruce Bowen FINALLY being watched by the league only after....

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Big Chee, May 14, 2007.

1. Big Chee

Big Chee Active Member

kneeing the league's poster boy in the nads.

Nevermind him undercutting Vince twice in one game, Ray Allen, and the kick to Wally's grill. He touced the leagues wunderkind. Now all eyes are on him.

::)

2. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

BUH BUH BUH NASH MAKES HIS TEAMMATES BETTER!!!!

3. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

buh buh buh Kobe makes his teammates watch the playoffs from their couches! :D

4. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

I agree that Bruce Bowen has always been a player that is dirty. I never understood why the league doesn't call the fouls on him like they should. The guy should be fouling out of every game he plays.

5. IU90

IU90 Member

He doesn't foul out much because he's one of the flat out SNEAKIEST guys with his little cheap shots I've ever seen--the guy knows exactly what the refs are and are not likely to catch. Take that subtle little back of the foot clip he nailed Stoudamire with the other day. No way the refs catch that during game action, yet it clearly looks intentional on replays. Another trick of his is the deal where gets his feet underneath where jump shooters land when they come down. It occurs right after the shot when the refs have usually turned their look toward the goal and APPEARS accidental (that is, until you notice that it constantly "accidentally" happens with the same defender) so it never seems to get called. Bowen is damn clever when it comes to knowing exactly what you can slip past the refs.

6. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I think the flopping and diving are bigger problems than this type of dirty play.

I hate to say it, but the international players brought this flopping with them from soccer. The refs falling for it will stop soon enough though.

I do think that reffing is harder than it has ever been in the past. That said, I think they are blowing more calls than they ever have in the past.

How many times do we see a ref making a call that he had no view of? Can you really call a reaching foul when you cannot even see the ball?

7. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

A good ref does not watch the ball in flight. The top official should watch the player land and see if he is obstructed down the floor in transition.

The baseline official should be watching the inside play. The third official should be watching the shot and if it is a goal or not (I think).

8. Chuck~Taylor

Shoot, if Bruce Bowen took at shot at Kobe like that, they would've gave Bruce a medal of honor :D

Take a look at this guys:
    [​IMG]

Now that's supposed to be "OK". But if Bowen slips a knee into Stevie Nash's family jewels, they go CSI on the situation.

9. dog428

dog428 Active Member

Bowen's dirtier than any player I've ever seen. It's one thing to go Bill Lambier on somebody and try to muscle your way through them, it's another to do this sort of shit -- the stuff that ends careers. Sticking your foot under a jump shooter is something that you DON'T do. Ever. That little kick to the back of the legs would get you killed on the playground.

And yeah, he's catching heat for doing it to Nash. And the reason he's catching more heat for this incident probably has a helluva lot to do with the fact that he's doing this shit in one of the most watched playoff games. More people watching means that more people give a damn.

10. boots

boots New Member

Wake the fuck up. The league has been watching Bruce Bowen since he began developing the rep as a defensive player a decade ago with the Boston Celtics.

11. Chuck~Taylor

That's a good point. But why didn't the league "look into it" when he did it to Amare?

12. Big Chee

Big Chee Active Member

But they never gave a formal announcement that he was under survellance until now.

Draft saved Draft deleted